GCD: Fastest Method to Simplify Fractions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd Method
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving a problem involving simplifying a fraction and finding the greatest common divisor. The speaker mentions Euclid's algorithm and asks if there are any methods that are faster. They also mention the Trachtenberg Speed System and the Binary GCD algorithm as potential alternatives. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of division to simplify fractions and how speeding up the division process can improve the efficiency of Euclid's algorithm.
Petrus
Hello,
I wounder if there is more method Then using euclides algoritmen to solve this problem
Simplifie/shorten(I Dont know how to say in english) \(\displaystyle \frac{196707}{250971}\) and I get GCD=6783 and get the answer \(\displaystyle \frac{29}{37}\) is there more method? Is there à method that is a lot more faster Then this one and that method you take out all prime number?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
There's a novel way of dividing numbers by others numbers of arbitrary length quickly.

How does division helps to simplify a fraction?

Petrus said:
Is there any method that is a lot more faster than this one

I don't see why you think Euclid's method is slow, can elaborate your logic a bit? Well, you might want to look at the Binary GCD algorith then since it shorten the work of finding the GCD quite a bit.

mathbalarka said:
I don't see why you think Euclid's method is slow, can elaborate your logic a bit? Well, you might want to look at the Binary GCD algorith then since it shorten the work of finding the GCD quite a bit.
Naa its not really hard, I was just looking for more method to solve it :)

mathbalarka said:

Each step of the Euclidean algorithm is a division problem, is it not? If you can speed up each step of Euclid's algorithm, then you speed up Euclid's algorithm.

1. What is GCD and why is it important in simplifying fractions?

The GCD, or greatest common divisor, is the largest number that divides evenly into two or more numbers. It is important in simplifying fractions because it allows us to find the largest number that can divide both the numerator and denominator, which results in the simplest form of the fraction.

2. How does GCD help in finding the fastest method to simplify fractions?

GCD helps in finding the fastest method to simplify fractions because it allows us to reduce the fraction to its lowest terms by dividing both the numerator and denominator by the GCD. This eliminates the need for multiple steps in the simplification process, making it the most efficient method.

3. Can GCD be used to simplify fractions with variables?

Yes, GCD can be used to simplify fractions with variables. The same concept applies, where the GCD of the coefficients in the numerator and denominator is divided out, leaving the simplified fraction with the variables still intact.

4. Are there any other methods besides GCD to simplify fractions?

Yes, there are other methods to simplify fractions such as prime factorization and the Euclidean algorithm. However, GCD is considered the fastest method as it only requires one step to simplify the fraction.

5. What is the difference between simplifying fractions and reducing fractions?

There is no difference between simplifying fractions and reducing fractions. They both refer to the process of converting a fraction to its simplest form by dividing both the numerator and denominator by the GCD.