GCDs of Polynomials: Reading Rotman's Corollary 3.58

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation is discussing the statement and meaning of Corollary 3.58 in Joseph J. Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra. The question is whether the statement should specify a unique monic gcd for every two polynomials, or if it is implied by the definition of gcd.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 3.5 From Polynomials to Numbers

I need help with the statement and meaning of Corollary 3.58

The relevant section of Rotman's text reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4547In the above text (in the statement of the Corollary) we read the following:

" ... ... (ii) Every two polynomials \(\displaystyle f(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) have a unique gcd. ... ... "
My question (which some may regard as pedantic :) ) is as follows:

Does Rotman actually mean ...

" (ii) Every two polynomials \(\displaystyle f(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) have a unique monic gcd. ... ... "

Can someone please confirm that my interpretation is correct?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 3.5 From Polynomials to Numbers

I need help with the statement and meaning of Corollary 3.58

The relevant section of Rotman's text reads as follows:In the above text (in the statement of the Corollary) we read the following:

" ... ... (ii) Every two polynomials \(\displaystyle f(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) have a unique gcd. ... ... "
My question (which some may regard as pedantic :) ) is as follows:

Does Rotman actually mean ...

" (ii) Every two polynomials \(\displaystyle f(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) have a unique monic gcd. ... ... "

Can someone please confirm that my interpretation is correct?

Peter
I think gcd is defined to a monic by default. Please check the definition in the book. If it doesn't say monic specifically then yes, you can have many gcds.

1. What is the definition of a GCD of polynomials?

A GCD (greatest common divisor) of polynomials is a polynomial that divides evenly into each of the given polynomials, with no remainder.

2. How is the GCD of polynomials calculated?

The GCD of polynomials can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves dividing the polynomials and finding the remainder until a polynomial with no remainder is reached.

3. What is the significance of Corollary 3.58 in Rotman's text?

Corollary 3.58 in Rotman's text states that if two polynomials have a GCD of 1, then they are relatively prime. This is important because it allows us to determine if two polynomials share any common factors.

4. Can the GCD of polynomials be negative?

No, the GCD of polynomials is always a positive polynomial. This is because the GCD is defined as the largest positive polynomial that divides evenly into both given polynomials.

5. Is the GCD of polynomials unique?

Yes, the GCD of polynomials is unique up to a constant multiple. This means that two different polynomials may have the same GCD, but the GCD will have a different leading coefficient. However, the GCD is still considered the same polynomial.