GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops

In summary, Douglas R. Hofstadter's book Gödel, Escher, Bach discusses the idea of "strange loops"—often apparent logical paradoxes—and argues that they are the key to understanding consciousness. He includes witty dialogues, as well as examples of "strange loops" in math, art, and music. Hofstadter is not in the mainstream of current artificial intelligence techniques, but his interest is in consciousness, which is not necessarily the same thing as "thinking", if we allow that unconscious goings-on may accomplish thinking. Hofstadter's book is a great source of inspiration, but it is important to keep in mind that
PetSounds
Lately, I've been hooked on Douglas R. Hofstadter's book Gödel, Escher, Bach. In it, he discusses the idea of "strange loops"—often apparent logical paradoxes—and argues that they are the key to understanding consciousness. He includes witty dialogues, as well as examples of "strange loops" in math, art, and music.

What are PF's thoughts on GEB? On one hand, I find myself nodding along as Hofstadter connects his loops to consciousness. On the other, I wonder if he doesn't stretch things and make assertions. I'm not always knowledgeable enough to make that judgement. (Still in high school—still learning the basics. :smile:)

It's a delightful read. But how seriously should I take it?

(Note to mods: Wasn't sure to which forum this topic belonged. Please move it if you think it's better suited elsewhere.)

Science news on Phys.org
I read it when it first came out, and I still think it is one of the best - and most thought-provoking -science books written. As a mathematician I loved his take on the proof of Gödel incompleteness theorem (the original version is not very readable).

Likes Michael Price
PetSounds said:
It's a delightful read. But how seriously should I take it?

This article: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...man-who-would-teach-machines-to-think/309529/ indicates Hoftstadter is not in the mainstream of current artificial intelligence techniques - but his interest is in consciousness, which is not necessarily the same thing as "thinking", if we allow that unconscious goings-on may accomplish thinking. Whether you should take Hofstadter seriously depends on your purposes.

I have read GEB, and agree that it is among the most thought-provoking books that I've read, and it was among the first places where I developed an understanding of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem, as well as informative views on topics in areas of theoretical computer science, artificial intelligence, and cognitive science, with delightful diversions into music, art, philosophy, among others.

As a source of inspiration, it is a great book (and inspiration is important). In terms of how seriously to take it -- keep in mind that the book was written almost 40 years ago, so much of Hofstadter's speculations in various areas of science in the book has to be seen in that light.

Likes Michael Price
I like his toy programming languages BlooP, FlooP, and GlooP.

BlooP: primitive recursive functions -- for every loop, one must set a maximum number of times that it can repeat.

FlooP: general recursive functions -- loops can repeat an arbitrary number of times, and it's possible to get stuck in an infinite loop. Equivalent to the lambda calculus and Turing completeness.

GlooP: hypothetical -- can solve problems like the Turing-machine halting problem.

Lambda calculus: doing everything with functions and uninterpreted variables.

GED is a vast and glorious pun. I read a review in Scientific American and bought it - still re-read it.

Likes Michael Price and Klystron
Svein said:
I read it when it first came out, and I still think it is one of the best - and most thought-provoking -science books written. As a mathematician I loved his take on the proof of Gödel incompleteness theorem (the original version is not very readable).
This thread inspires me to re-read the book; my copy was "borrowed" and never returned in the 1990's. A semi-joke in software engineering circles was when faced with a difficult problem to solve, review the requirements then play J.S. Bach and contemplate an Escher drawing while thinking like Godel. Or skip the art and ask for help.

While I used hyperbolic geometry at work on occasion, M. C. Escher allowed me to see it.
1567001070616.png

Likes Michael Price

1. What is "GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops"?

"GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops" is a book written by Douglas R. Hofstadter, a cognitive scientist and computer scientist. The book explores the concept of self-referential systems and their implications in mathematics, music, art, and artificial intelligence.

2. What is a strange loop?

A strange loop is a self-referential system in which an object or idea can be perceived at different levels or scales. This creates an infinite loop of interpretation and meaning, making it a paradoxical and thought-provoking concept.

3. What are some key themes discussed in the book?

Some key themes discussed in "GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops" include the concept of self-reference, emergence, recursion, and the relationship between the mind and the brain. The book also delves into the nature of consciousness and the possibility of artificial intelligence.

4. Is "GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops" accessible to non-scientists?

While the book does contain scientific and mathematical concepts, Hofstadter presents them in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. He uses analogies and examples from everyday life to explain complex ideas, making the book suitable for a wide range of readers.

5. How has "GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops" influenced the field of cognitive science?

"GEB: Exploring Douglas R. Hofstadter's Strange Loops" has had a significant impact on the field of cognitive science, particularly in the areas of artificial intelligence and consciousness. The book has sparked new ideas and discussions about self-referential systems and their role in understanding the mind and brain.