General Chemistry - Chemical Equilibria

In summary: The products of one equation drive the other equation to the left. If you don't have the stoichiometry, then you can't solve for x.
rdayabhai
General Chemistry -- Chemical Equilibria

Suppose 1.22 atm of CH4(g), 2.57 atm of C2H6(g), and 15.00 atm of O2(g) are placed in a flask at a given temperature. The reactions are given below.

CH4(g) + 2 O2(g) CO2(g) + 2 H2O(g) KP = 1.0x10^4
2 C2H6(g) + 7 O2(g) 4 CO2(g) + 6 H2O(g) KP = 1.0x10^8

Calculate the equilibrium pressures of all gases.

---

There seems to one unknown that cannot be solved for! Any help is appreciated! (I'd rather not have you post the answer, but rather the method) Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There should only be 2 unknowns. Let x atm of CH4 and y atm of C2H6 be consumed. From the stoichiometry, you should be able to write the loss/gain in partial pressures of the other 3 components in terms of x and y.

I could be completely wrong, since i have little experience with complicated equilibrium problems, but what I think you should do is subtract the equations, and then do the appropriate math with the K values. Remember adding equations multiplies the K's, subtracting equations divides the K's. In this case you will need to multiply one of the equations too. This means you raise the K value to what ur multiplying by, for example if your multiplying by 2 u raise the K^2, if you multiply by 1/2(or dividing by 2) you will raise K^(1/2). And then it becomes a simple ICE(initial, change, equilibrium) equation.

You should have 1 equation now and 1 K value. The ICE will give you the correct input variables for all the pressures(you should be able to only use one variable 'x' but I'm not sure since I'm not doing this out) then just solve for x, and then plug in the value for x to find the partial pressures of all the gases.

I'm assuming these equations occur in the same place and you don't solve them seperately. Stoichiometry won't work in this case because the products of one equation drive the other equation to the left, and it would just be too complicated for stoichiometry(i think...)

Last edited:
Eshi said:
Stoichiometry won't work in this case because the products of one equation drive the other equation to the left, and it would just be too complicated for stoichiometry(i think...)
No, it's not too complicated. And the stoichiometry is essential.

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of the reactants and products remain constant over time. In this state, the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the overall concentration of the reactants and products.

2. How is chemical equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

Chemical equilibrium is typically represented by a double arrow (⇌) in a chemical equation, indicating that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions at the same time.

3. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that can affect chemical equilibrium include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Adding or removing reactants or products, as well as changing the volume or pressure of the reaction vessel, can also affect the equilibrium.

4. How can we predict the direction of a reaction at equilibrium?

The direction of a reaction at equilibrium can be predicted using Le Chatelier's principle, which states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will respond by shifting in a direction that minimizes the effect of the stress. This means that if a reactant or product is added or removed from the system, the equilibrium will shift in the direction that produces more of the added component.

5. Can chemical equilibrium be altered?

Chemical equilibrium is a dynamic state, so it can be altered by changing the conditions of the reaction. This can be done by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products. By manipulating these factors, we can shift the equilibrium in a desired direction to favor the formation of a particular product.