General-Electric GEnx turbofan engine picture label request

In summary, the complexity of this engine baffles a student like me who is passionate about engines and mechanics. The labels of all components are required for a simple paint edit, and this thread can be used to ask for detailed information about specific parts of the image.
Hassan Ismaeel
Hi! I am a student who is passionate about engines and mechanics (although the major I'm pursuing is CS.I believe we must not inhibit our intellectual curiosity). The following link will take you to the picture of an uncovered General Electric Next Generation Turbofan engine used by the 787 Dream liner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gener.../File:Detail_of_GEnx_turbofan_engine_core.jpg Looking at it, I was befuddled by the complexity. I really want to know the labels of all components no matter how "high-level" they are! Defining them isn't necessary, I can search by myself. Just a label of the parts is required (simple paint edit would do!).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hassan Ismaeel said:
Hi! I am a student who is passionate about engines and mechanics (although the major I'm pursuing is CS.I believe we must not inhibit our intellectual curiosity). The following link will take you to the picture of an uncovered General Electric Next Generation Turbofan engine used by the 787 Dream liner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gener.../File:Detail_of_GEnx_turbofan_engine_core.jpg Looking at it, I was befuddled by the complexity. I really want to know the labels of all components no matter how "high-level" they are! Defining them isn't necessary, I can search by myself. Just a label of the parts is required (simple paint edit would do!).
Welcome to the PF.

You should find some images of jet engines like that which do have some labels, and learn as much as you can from them first. Then after that, you can use this thread to ask about specific parts of the image that you posted which you have not been able to find information about. :smile:

Train your search engine. It wants to please.

upload_2016-3-13_14-17-21.png

Lots more here, search on keywords
http://web.stanford.edu/~cantwell/AA283_Course_Material/GE90_Engine_Data.pdf

if you sent these folks a handwritten letter they'dprobably send you a sales brochure

http://www.geaviation.com/engines/

you do understand that modern engines (after Boeing 707) affix a shrouded propeller to the front of the engine. That's the big blades on right side of your picture.
The turbine engine makes so much shaft horsepower that it can move lots more air than is practical to move through its internal burners .
So most of it is directed around the engine itself, they call that Bypassing. You picked a high bypass engine.
Those big blades out front resemble a fan, hence the name "Turbofan". They're a lot more quiet than pure jets.

The internal losses from compressing and churning the air on its way through exceeds the power of a WW2 piston engine.Have fun reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Aerochele and berkeman
@berkeman Thank you for the reply- you're right. But I have done many rigorous searches and still couldn't find a label of the inside "Parts". :/
@jim hardy Thank you for the links, and the reply! :D I am cognizant of the basic "parts" such as the blade, fuel lines, turbine, compressor, spool, etc. I wanted to get deep into the manufacturing of the engine- The little tiny parts that I am unaware of: the shining "boxes" , the red "pipes", etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaustive searching will probably turn up a maintenance manual. I know they're out there for WW2 radial piston engines.

Oh great idea! I on it!

1. What is a GEnx turbofan engine?

A GEnx turbofan engine is a type of jet engine produced by General Electric (GE) Aviation. It is commonly used in commercial aircraft, such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Boeing 747-8, as well as in military aircraft.

2. How does a GEnx turbofan engine work?

A GEnx turbofan engine works by taking in air from the front of the engine, compressing it, and then mixing it with fuel and igniting it. The hot gas produced by the combustion process passes through a series of turbines, which power the engine's fan and compressors, and then exits the engine through the back.

3. What are the advantages of the GEnx turbofan engine?

The GEnx turbofan engine boasts several advantages over previous engine models, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced noise levels, and lower emissions. It also has a longer lifespan and requires less maintenance, leading to lower operating costs for airlines.

4. Can I see a picture of a GEnx turbofan engine?

Yes, there are many pictures of GEnx turbofan engines available online. You can also request a picture label from General Electric or view images on their website.

5. How can I learn more about GEnx turbofan engines?

There is a wealth of information available about GEnx turbofan engines, including specifications, technical data, and performance reviews. You can also visit the General Electric website or contact them directly for more information.

Back