General Formula For Reflection Direction

In summary, the conversation discussed the reflection of a particle colliding with a rectangular wall at different tangents. It was noted that there are two different formulas for calculating the reflection direction, but it was desired to have a general formula that works for both horizontal and vertical tangents. After further discussion, it was determined that the general formula is C = 180+2B-A, where A is the direction of incidence, B is the direction of tangent, and C is the direction of reflection.
VeryBadAtMath
An Example Scenario:

A particle moves at 32° and collides with a wall. This wall is rectangular in nature, which means that there is both horizontal and vertical sides.

On a horizontal tangent, it would work like this (sorry for ugly, not-to-scale diagrams):

[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7808/questionsc.jpg
(reflects at 148°)

However, on a vertical tangent it would reflect like this:

[PLAIN]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2064/question2.png
(reflects at 328°)

This means that:
  • On horizontal tangent: reflectionDirection = 180-incidenceDirection
  • On vertical tangent: reflectionDirection = 360-incidenceDirection

It's lame to have two different formulas, so is there a general formula for the reflectionDirection that works with both vertical and horizontal tangents? It's fine if it uses radians instead of degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the incoming angle is A, and B is an angle normal to the wall, then the reflected angle C is given by C = B - A.

Thanks, but that was not what I was looking for.

In case someone else needs to know, the general formula is:

C = 180+2B-A

Where A is the direction of incidence, B is the direction of tangent (0 if horizontal, 90 if vertical) and C is the direction of reflection.

Well the normal and tangent angles are 90 degrees different, so it all works.

Also, I meant C = 2B - A in my last post, sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for this conversation. I was searching for this...

Related to General Formula For Reflection Direction

1. What is the general formula for calculating the direction of reflection?

The general formula for reflection direction is: R = I - 2(N · I)N, where R is the reflected ray, I is the incident ray, and N is the normal vector of the surface.

2. How do I determine the normal vector of a surface for reflection?

The normal vector of a surface can be determined by taking the cross product of two vectors on the surface. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the surface and can be used as the value for N in the reflection direction formula.

3. Can this formula be applied to all types of surfaces?

Yes, this formula can be applied to all types of surfaces as long as the surface is smooth and the angle of incidence is known.

4. Is there a simplified version of this formula?

Yes, for the case of a flat surface, the reflection direction formula can be simplified to: R = I - 2(NI)N, where NI is the dot product of the normal vector and the incident ray.

5. What are some practical applications of this formula?

This formula is commonly used in optics and computer graphics to simulate the reflection of light off of different surfaces. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the reflection of sound waves and other waves off of surfaces.