General Formula for the Reciprocal of a Sum of Reciprocals

In summary, the reduced mass, μ, of an object can be calculated using the formula μ = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{m_1} + \frac{1}{m_2}} or μ = \frac{m_1 m_2}{ m_1 + m_2 }. To find the value of \frac{1}{ \frac{1}{x_1} + \frac{1}{x_2} + ... + \frac{1}{x_n} }, it is equivalent to solving \dfrac{1}{x1}+\dfrac{1}{x2}+\dfrac{1}{x3}+... = \dfrac{A}{
FredericChopin
I know that the reduced mass, μ, of an object is:

[tex]\mu = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{m_1} + \frac{1}{m_2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mu = \frac{m_1 m_2}{ m_1 + m_2 }[/tex]

But is there a general formula (or a simplified expression) for finding the value of:

[tex]\frac{1}{ \frac{1}{x_1} + \frac{1}{x_2} + ... + \frac{1}{x_n} }[/tex] ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is the same as solving:
[tex]\dfrac{1}{x1}+\dfrac{1}{x2}+\dfrac{1}{x3}+... = \dfrac{A}{B}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \dfrac{1}{x1}+\dfrac{1}{x2}+\dfrac{1}{x3}+... \right)^{-1}= \dfrac{\prod_1 x_i}{\sum_i \prod_{j\neq i} x_j}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes FredericChopin
matteo137 said:
This is the same as solving:
[tex]\dfrac{1}{x1}+\dfrac{1}{x2}+\dfrac{1}{x3}+... = \dfrac{A}{B}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \dfrac{1}{x1}+\dfrac{1}{x2}+\dfrac{1}{x3}+... \right)^{-1}= \dfrac{\prod_1 x_i}{\sum_i \prod_{j\neq i} x_j}[/tex]

Great! Thank you so much!

1. What is the general formula for the reciprocal of a sum of reciprocals?

The general formula for the reciprocal of a sum of reciprocals is 1 divided by the sum of the reciprocals. This can be expressed as 1/(1/a + 1/b + 1/c + ...), where a, b, c, etc. are the individual reciprocals being added together.

2. How is this formula used in scientific calculations?

This formula is commonly used in scientific calculations involving resistors in parallel circuits, where the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the individual resistances. It is also used in statistics to calculate the harmonic mean of a set of numbers.

3. Is there a special case of this formula?

Yes, if all of the individual reciprocals being added together are equal, then the general formula simplifies to the special case of 1 divided by the number of reciprocals being added.

4. Can this formula be extended to more than two numbers?

Yes, this formula can be extended to include any number of reciprocals being added together. The only requirement is that all of the individual reciprocals are included in the sum.

5. How is this formula derived?

The derivation of this formula involves using the concept of fractions and cross-multiplication. By converting all of the individual reciprocals to fractions and then cross-multiplying, we can arrive at the general formula for the reciprocal of a sum of reciprocals.