General question about atomic structure

In summary, the product of electron velocity and principal quantum number is independent of the speed of revolution or energy of the electron. This can be determined by using the Bohr model and the formula v=2.18*10^8*z/n m/s, where z is the atomic number and n is the principal quantum number. This formula can be used to calculate the velocity of an electron in a non-hydrogen atom, such as the 4s electron of Calcium.
Perpendicular
the product of velocity of an electron and the principal quantum number is independent of which variable ?

options given : a) velocity b) principal quantum number c) speed of revolution d ) energy of electron

I wrote c, is it correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, by process of elimination, a) and b) are incorrect because they are clearly variables in the product of electron velocity and principal quantum number. d) is incorrect because the energy of an electron generally increases with the principal quantum number, so changes in electron energy may be indicative of a change in the principal quantum number. So that leaves c). I don't know if this is 100% correct, but this is how I approached it.

well, under the Bohr model , it's B. But I'm not sure if that holds true for other models.

I'm pretty sure it is B

can you explain how to calculate velocity in a model other than Bohr's ? Say I want to calculate the velocity of an electron in a non-hydrogen like atom - let's say , 4s electron of Calcium. How do I go about it ?

Which model are you currently studying in your classes?

Bohr + full orbital model w/ pauli exclusion principle and all that, don't know what it's called...

Perpendicular said:
Bohr + full orbital model w/ pauli exclusion principle and all that, don't know what it's called...

Since you are studying Bohr model, you should be using this formula for velocity:-
[tex]v=2.18 * 10^8*\frac{z}{n} m/s[/tex]
(Correct me if i am wrong because i am not sure about the constant value.)
where z is atomic number and n is the principal quantum number.

Now simply do what the question has asked.

10^6 lol. But yeah, you're right.

Related to General question about atomic structure

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter, consisting of a nucleus made up of protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in orbitals.

2. What is the structure of an atom?

An atom has a central nucleus made up of positively charged protons and neutral neutrons. Electrons orbit the nucleus in energy levels or shells.

3. What are the subatomic particles of an atom?

The subatomic particles of an atom include protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge.

4. How are atoms arranged in the periodic table?

Atoms are arranged in the periodic table based on their atomic number, which is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus. Elements in the same column have similar properties due to their similar electron configurations.

5. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms bonded together. Elements cannot be broken down into simpler substances, while compounds can be broken down into their component elements.