General Relativity and Differential Geometry textbook problem

In summary, the author writes ##x^2=d(x,.)## in their textbook on General Relativity and Differential Geometry, where d(x,y) is the distance between two points x and y in M. The purpose of this notation is not clear, as it may be an operator or simply an abuse of notation. Further context is needed to understand the meaning behind it. However, after some investigation, it seems that the author may have meant ##x^2=d(x,.)^2##, as supported by the results obtained in Riemann normal coordinates.
shooride
I'm studying General Relativity and Differential Geometry. In my textbook, the author has written ##x^2=d(x,.)## where d(x,y) is distance between two points ##x,y\in M##. I couldn't understand what d(x,.) means. Moreover, I am not sure if this is generally true to write ##x^2=g_{\mu\nu} x^\mu x^\nu=d(x,.)##. Under what conditions can one write ##x^2=d(x,.)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
shooride said:
I'm studying General Relativity and Differential Geometry. In my textbook, the author has written ##x^2=d(x,.)## where d(x,y) is distance between two points ##x,y\in M##. I couldn't understand what d(x,.) means. Moreover, I am not sure if this is generally true to write ##x^2=g_{\mu\nu} x^\mu x^\nu=d(x,.)##. Under what conditions can one write ##x^2=d(x,.)##?
Oops! I should write ##x^2=d(x,.)^2##

shooride said:
In my textbook...
Which textbook?

Nugatory said:
Which textbook?
Unfortunately, that book has been written in my native language! By this you mean it is meaningless to write x^2=d(x,.)?! I think that one can write x^2=d(x,.)^2 at least in Riemann normal coordinates...

Writing ##x^2 = g_{\mu\nu} x^\mu x^\nu## is common shorthand. I'm not sure why the author writes ##d(x,.)## because ##d(x,x)## would make more sense there. When you write something like ##d(x,.)## sometimes that means an operator that takes an object ##v^\mu## and acts to form ##d(x,v)##. It doesn't appear to be the case here, but perhaps more context would help.

Last edited:
Likes bcrowell
fzero said:
Writing ##x^2 = g_{\mu\nu} x^\mu x^\nu## is common shorthand. I'm not sure why the author writes ##d(x,.)## because ##d(x,x)## would make more sense there. When you write something like ##d(x,.)## sometimes that means an operator that takes an object ##v^\mu## and acts to form ##d(x,v)##. It doesn't appear to be the case here, but perhaps more context would help.
After that I posted this question, I realized ##d(x,.)## means distance function. BTW, I've tried to evaluate the distance between two point ##x^\mu## and ##y^\mu## in Riemann normal coordinates, what I get is
[itex]
d(x,y)^2=g_{\mu\nu} (x^\mu-y^\mu)(x^\nu-y^\nu) +1/3 R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}x^\rho x^\sigma(x^\mu-y^\mu)(x^\mu- y^\nu) + O((x^\mu-y^\mu)^3)
[/itex]
So
[itex]
d(x,0)^2=g_{\mu\nu} x^\mu x^\nu +1/3 R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}x^\rho x^\sigma x^\mu x^\mu + O(x^3)
[/itex]
in this way, I think what author really means is
[itex]
d(x,0)^2=x^2+O(x^2)
[/itex]
with an abuse of notation!

Last edited:
shooride said:
After that I posted this question, I realized ##d(x,.)## means distance function.
That doesn't make sense. I think fzero's interpretation is much more likely.

Related to General Relativity and Differential Geometry textbook problem

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and Differential Geometry?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that describes the curvature of space-time caused by matter and energy. Differential Geometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in higher dimensional spaces. It provides the mathematical framework for understanding the concepts of General Relativity.

2. Why is General Relativity considered a revolutionary theory?

General Relativity revolutionized our understanding of gravity by replacing the concept of a force between masses with the concept of the curvature of space-time. It also successfully predicted phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects, that were not explained by previous theories of gravity.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein field equations in General Relativity?

The Einstein field equations are a set of 10 equations that form the basis of General Relativity. They describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy within it. These equations have been extensively tested and have accurately predicted various phenomena, thus validating the theory of General Relativity.

4. How does General Relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to General Relativity, time is not absolute but is affected by the curvature of space-time. The closer an object is to a massive object, the slower time passes for that object. This phenomenon, known as time dilation, has been observed and confirmed through experiments and is a fundamental aspect of the theory of General Relativity.

5. Can General Relativity be applied to all scales of the universe?

General Relativity is a theory that applies to all scales of the universe, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest structures in the universe. It has been successfully used to explain the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies, as well as the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe. However, it breaks down at the quantum level, and a unified theory of gravity that incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics is still being sought after.