General Theory of Relativity ?

In summary, if you are a beginner looking to study General Theory of Relativity (GTR), it is important to have a good understanding of tensor algebra. Some recommended books for learning GTR include "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James B. Hartle, "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard F. Schutz, "General Relativity" by Robert M. Wald, and "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M. P. Hobson, G. P. Efstathiou, and A. N. Lasenby. It is also recommended to have a solid foundation in special relativity before diving into GTR. Additionally, solving exercises is
mkbh_10
As a beginner which book should i study for GTR & does it require to have knowledge of tensor algebra ? If yes then suggest me a book for that too .

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to tell us your current level of maths/physics before we can answer this. You may also want to search this forum for previous threads on the topic.

Hartle tries to present as much physics as possible before introducing tensors. His book is also among the most up to date. The place to start for GR, though I'd want to have a good grounding in SR first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Some other books of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/020138423X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198506562/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935702016/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A more advanced book that covers some GR calculations by "deriving" linear gravitational field equations in analogy with electrodynamics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393965015/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned tensor calculus from my GR text...

Phrak said:
I learned tensor calculus from my GR text...

Yeah most of the GR textbooks (even Wald) introduce the math needed along the way including tensors, tetrads, tangent spaces, covariant derivaties, Lie derivatives etc etc

As Daverz mentioned the most gentle introduction is Hartle, I think it only presumes calculus. After that either Schutz or Ohanion are good for an advanced undergrad text. In between undergrad and grad stands Carroll and MTW (Misner, Wheeler, Thorne), and they are suitable for a senior or a first year grad student. And then THE grad text is Wald. All of them start from scratch, but they have increasing levels of mathematical sophistication.

I learned from Cheng, which is a nice book on the same level as Hartle if you don't want too many details. It doesn't cover Black Holes in detail, but covers more Cosmology than Hartle. I studied from it because I wanted Cosmology.

Hartle is better, from what I've seen, but Cheng's book has only 300 pages, as opposed to Hartle's 600+. (I was a little short of time, because of a 15-day summer school.)

i have two ebooks on this . 1st one by P.A.M dirac & 2nd by A 1st course in relativity by Bernard F Schutz, which one shud i read ?

Go for Schutz. Dirac's book is not for beginners. Also, you need to solve exersices to learn effectively.

Related to General Theory of Relativity ?

1. What is the General Theory of Relativity?

The General Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It is a theory of gravity that explains how objects with mass interact with each other and how space and time are affected by these interactions.

2. How is the General Theory of Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

The General Theory of Relativity extends Newton's theory of gravity by incorporating the concept of curved spacetime. It explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass, whereas Newton's theory described gravity as a force between objects with mass.

3. What evidence supports the General Theory of Relativity?

There is a substantial amount of evidence that supports the General Theory of Relativity. Some of the most notable evidence includes the bending of light around massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational redshift of light.

4. How does the General Theory of Relativity explain the phenomenon of time dilation?

According to the General Theory of Relativity, time is not absolute but is relative to the observer's frame of reference. In the presence of a massive object, such as a planet or star, the gravitational pull causes time to pass more slowly. This is known as time dilation.

5. Can the General Theory of Relativity be applied to the entire universe?

Yes, the General Theory of Relativity can be applied to the entire universe. It is a fundamental theory that describes the behavior of gravity on a large scale, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. It has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately predict the behavior of the universe.