Generalisation of Pythagoras theorem

In summary, the speaker is interested in finding a proof for the generalized form of the Pythagorean theorem, but has not been successful. They ask for help and provide a link to a possible proof, but later find the answer on their own.
mertcan
hi everyone, I would like say that there are lots of proofs related to pythagoras theorem in a flat space, but When I searched it's general form I have not found something worthwhile. Besides, I also involved myself to have a nice proof of it, as a result I have not any valuable or very close equation, so Could you help me obtain it's proof, share some pdf files, links related to derivation?

Very thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How is Pythagoras theorem generalized?

Pythagoras theorem can be generalized to any polygon, not just right triangles. This is done by using the Law of Cosines, which states that in a triangle, the square of one side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those two sides multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

Why is generalizing Pythagoras theorem important?

Generalizing Pythagoras theorem allows us to apply the concept to a wider range of shapes and scenarios, making it a more versatile and useful tool in mathematics and science. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the fundamental principles behind the theorem.

What are some real-life applications of the generalized Pythagoras theorem?

The generalized Pythagoras theorem is used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. For example, it can be used to calculate the distance between two points on a map, the height of a building, or the tension in a bridge's support cables.

How can I prove the generalized Pythagoras theorem?

The generalized Pythagoras theorem can be proven using various methods, including algebraic proofs, geometric proofs, and trigonometric proofs. These proofs involve manipulating equations and geometric figures to show that the theorem holds true for any polygon.