Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel?

• B
  • Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the Trammel of Archimedes has been a well-known mechanism for a long time, typically with two "lanes". Some variations have been explored, but still limited to two lanes. While a vague mention of three lanes can be found in some sources, a comprehensive treatment of a generalization to any number of lanes is not readily available online. Further research may be needed to explore the specific suggestion of using a circular perimeter on three tracks as a generalization to three lanes.
nomadreid
Gold Member
The Trammel of Archimedes has been around for a long time, but it is usually with two "lanes", or shuttles. Some variations on the classical one are covered nicely in "A New Look at the So-Called. Trammel of Archimedes" byTom M. Apostol and Mamikon A. Mnatsakanian (http://www.jstor.org/stable/27642689), but still restricted to two lanes. A vague reference to three lanes appears in "A wonky Trammel of Archimedes' (web.mat.bham.ac.uk/C.J.Sangwin/Publications/WonkyTrammel.pdf) , and pictures of three-laned ones abound (e.g., at the bottom of https://plus.google.com/+PedroLarroy/posts/7HKvcjiUGPH). However, nowhere (at least on the Internet) do I find a good treatment of a generalization to n lanes, for example that would allow me to calculate the area of the envelope of the ellipse traced out by such a mechanism. Can anyone point me in the right direction (preferably something freely accessible on-line)? Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
A vague reference to three lanes appears in
It does? I couldn't find it. And the animation at the Larroy link only uses two lanes. Both generalizations are merely to two non-orthogonal lanes.
To go to 3 lanes you could consider a circle constrained to have its perimeter lying on three tracks.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, haruspex. I stand corrected; I no longer know where I thought (apparently mistakenly, now that I re-read the article) the stated reference was. So, after my own scan of the on-line literature turned up nothing on such generalizations, and throwing this out to the PhysicsForums community also turned up no explicit working out of the generalization that you suggest, I am going to assume that such a generalization has not been published, or at least not recently.

1. What is the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel?

The Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel is a mathematical concept that extends the principles of Archimedes' trammel, a geometric construction used to create an ellipse, to other shapes such as hyperbolas and parabolas.

2. How is the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel different from Archimedes' trammel?

The Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel allows for the creation of a wider range of shapes, including hyperbolas and parabolas, while Archimedes' trammel is limited to only creating ellipses.

3. What is the significance of the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel?

The Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel has practical applications in areas such as engineering, architecture, and physics, where shapes other than ellipses are commonly used.

4. Who discovered the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel?

The Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel was discovered by mathematician and physicist Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

5. Can the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel be used to create other shapes besides ellipses, hyperbolas, and parabolas?

Yes, the principles of the Generalization of Archimedes' Trammel can be extended to create other shapes, such as curves and spirals, by using different mathematical equations and constructions.