Geometric intuition of a rank formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the geometric intuition behind an equation involving the rank of linear transformations, the image of a linear transformation, and the kernel of a linear transformation. The idea of projection operators is mentioned as a possible underlying concept. The conversation also includes a critique of a graphic representation of the equation and the suggestion to think about projectors and their uses in discrete math.
Terrell
I am trying to understand the geometric intuition of the above equation. ##\rho(\tau)## represents the rank of the linear transformation ##\tau## and likewise for ##\rho(\tau\sigma)##. ##Im(\sigma)## means the image of the linear transformation ##\sigma## and lastly, ##K(\tau)## is the kernel of ##\tau##.
The equation: ##\rho(\tau)=\rho(\tau\sigma)+d[Im(\sigma)\cap K(\tau)]##
rank of tau.png

Attachments

• rank of tau.png
    rank of tau.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not certain of what your picture is trying to get across, but a nice underlying idea would be of the use of the projection operator. They exist over many fields though I think you're talking about Reals here for geometry.

In your example's case it would be a 3x3 matrix, but in general its some ##n## x ##n## matrix, where ##\mathbf P^2 = \mathbf {PP} = \mathbf P##. If you play around with it a little, you see it must be diagonalizable (over reals) and only has 0s and 1s for eigenvalues (technically you could include the identity matrix and zero matrix, but they aren't really what people mean when talking about projectors). From here there are a lot of similarity transforms that can be done. My sense is your picture is showing the application of two different projectors.

- - - -
I actually think your picture is wrong. From what I can tell the LHS is a cube with non-zero volume (hence non-zero determinant) and thus full rank. It gets mapped down to a parallelogram given by those two black lines. It seems to be showing that they are linearly independent and if you add them together you get the red line. (It actually seems to be showing an affine space -- I don't get the motivation for not having the vectors oriented at zero or why the origin is only referenced in the middle picture.) The nullspace / kernel / purple line should be perpendicular to this plane, though it doesn't really look like it is to me.

Full circle / meta take:
it strikes me as almost perverse to have a picture showing a 3d space being mapped to a 2d space then mapped to a 1d space, when the original picture is "3d" but is in fact itself projected onto a 2d space (i.e. a piece of paper or your computer screen). So stepping back, the geometric intuition is: when you have a structure that is 3d but project it down/ try to represent it in 2d, you lose some information, making it harder to interpret clearly. In algebraic terms we call this a decrease in rank. And when you project from 2d to 1d you lose even more information.

Conversely, if you wanted an example showing the above phenomenon, and for the example itself to not be rank deficient, I think you'd either (a) want to build a 3d model yourself (perhaps with toothpicks) or (b) have an interactive 3d graphics program that while technically any given picture is 2d, it would allow you to drag and rotate enough to get some appreciation for depth and angles, etc. There is a big difference between being actually 3d and just drawing something on a piece of paper.

Last edited:
Likes Terrell
StoneTemplePython said:
It gets mapped down to a parallelogram given by those two black lines. It seems to be showing that they are linearly independent and if you add them together you get the red line
The red line is what about to be the ##Im(\tau\sigma)## which is why I matched a red line on the rightmost image.
StoneTemplePython said:
It gets mapped down to a parallelogram
This is not intended to be a parallelogram. This is a square drawn from a different perspective. So the transformation ##\sigma## flattens the cube into a square plane. Thus, the purple line,##K(\tau)##, is perpendicular to the red one. Although, I think that the purple line should not be ##K(\tau)##, but rather the kernel of some transformation ##\tau'##; ##K(\tau')##.
StoneTemplePython said:
The nullspace / kernel / purple line should be perpendicular to this plane
Shouldn't the one that must be perpendicular to the square plane be the kernel of ##\sigma##, ##K(\sigma)##? (Which I didn't include in the picture)
StoneTemplePython said:
when you have a structure that is 3d but project it down/ try to represent it in 2d, you lose some information, making it harder to interpret clearly
I agree, which is why I think that representing this graphically may not really be a good idea. Since the transformations are arbitrary, there's no way of telling what would happen to the cube if the transformation ##\tau## was performed before ##\sigma##, right?

I am sorry for the week late response. I did not expect anyone would respond after a day of not getting any responses :D

Terrell said:
I agree, which is why I think that representing this graphically may not really be a good idea. Since the transformations are arbitrary, there's no way of telling what would happen to the cube if the transformation ##\tau## was performed before ##\sigma##, right?

I mean this really is the point -- when you use a low rank representation of some structure /data, etc, you lose something in the process. In this case the 2-D representation of a cube is the low rank representation of your 3-d object. As a meta-point I think that's as good an interpretation you can get on the geometry of rank. Spend some time thinking about projectors. Beyond that the picture is not great for interpretation.

There are also some rather stunning uses of rank in discrete math -- e.g. if you want to tell if some finite (or perhaps sampled) sequence of data has only finite support.
Terrell said:
I am sorry for the week late response. I did not expect anyone would respond after a day of not getting any responses :D

According to time stamps, there is a less than 12 hour difference between your original post and my response?

Likes Terrell
StoneTemplePython said:
Spend some time thinking about projectors. Beyond that the picture is not great for interpretation.

There are also some rather stunning uses of rank in discrete math -- e.g. if you want to tell if some finite (or perhaps sampled) sequence of data has only finite support.
Haven't studied projections in depth, yet. I will be on the look out for connections when I get to study it again. thank you!

What is the rank formula?

The rank formula is a mathematical equation used to determine the rank of a matrix. It takes into account the number of linearly independent rows or columns in a matrix to determine its rank.

Why is understanding the geometric intuition of the rank formula important?

Understanding the geometric intuition of the rank formula allows us to visualize the concept of rank in a more intuitive way. It helps us understand how the rank of a matrix is related to its geometry and how it can be used to solve problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

How can the rank formula be interpreted geometrically?

The rank of a matrix can be interpreted geometrically as the maximum number of linearly independent vectors that span the column or row space of the matrix. In other words, it represents the dimension of the space that the vectors span.

What are some applications of the rank formula?

The rank formula has many applications in various fields, such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning. It is used to determine the dimension of a data set and to identify linearly dependent variables. It is also used in linear regression and principal component analysis.

How is the rank formula calculated?

The rank formula can be calculated by first putting the matrix into reduced row-echelon form and then counting the number of nonzero rows or columns. This number represents the rank of the matrix.