Geometric Isomers Lab Calculations

In summary, I attempted to find the limiting reagent in my lab and discovered that C4H2O3 is the limiting reagent. This led to me calculating the theoretical yield of the isomers.
Erisdar

Homework Statement

Calculate the theoretical yield of the isomers from your data. Note: Find the limiting reagent.

List of Masses I obtained during lab:
Maleic Anhydride (C4H2O3): 5.05g, molar mass=98.1g/mol
Impure Fumaric Acid: 2.28g
Pure Fumaric Acid(trans-C4H4O4): 1.45g
Pure Maleic Acid(cis-C4H4O4): 1.78g
H2O:4.56mL=4.56g

In the lab maleic anhydride is mixed with water and filtrated to produce maleic acid.
The filtrate is mixed with hydrochloric acid and heated to produce fumaric acid.

Homework Equations

The chemical equations I came up with are as follows:
C4H2O3+H2O→cis-C4H4O4
cis-C4H4O4+HCl→trans-C4H4O4+HCl

The Attempt at a Solution

As hinted I started by trying to find the limiting reagent (I'll use / for divide):

Converting grams to moles here.
5.05gC4H2O3 × 1molC4H2O3/9.81g=0.0515molC4H2O3

45.6gH2O×1molH2O/18.014gH2O=2.53molH2O

mol ratio =2.53/98.1=49.15 >1 ∴C4H2O3 is the limiting reagent

theoretical mass=5.05gC4H2O3×1molC4H4O4/1molC4H2O3×100.07gC4H4O4/1molC4H4O4=505.37gC4H4O4

This seems very wrong as my mass obtained of maleic acid and fumaric acid are 1 to 2 grams only.
This is my first and last chemistry course required for my degree so the above, I realize, may be awfully wrong.
Any help is appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Erisdar said:
mol ratio =2.53/98.1=49.15 >1 ∴C4H2O3 is the limiting reagent

theoretical mass=5.05gC4H2O3×1molC4H4O4/1molC4H2O3×100.07gC4H4O4/1molC4H4O4=505.37gC4H4O4

I think you have the mol ratio wrong, but at least you have the correct limiting reagent.

The next equation is definitely incorrect, the units don't work out properly.
You want the following general equations:

Moles of product = Moles of reactant X Rproduct / Rreactant

where R is the number in the balanced chemical equation.

Mass of reagent = moles of reagent X molar mass (also called formula weight)

For the mol ratio it was supposed to be 2.53/0.0515 thanks for catching my error.

Your two equations above helped immensely.
For anyone checking this over:
I used the first equation and the molar mass of C4H2O3 to get 0.0515mol C4H4O4.
From this I used the second equation to obtain a theoretical mass of 5.978g C4H4O4.
Adding the masses of the pure maleic and fumaric acids I get an experimental mass of 3.23g.
For calculating % yield, 3.23g and 5.98g makes much more sense than my initial 505.4g.

Thanks a bunch to ldc3 for the help and now I can finish writing my lab report. :)

1. What are geometric isomers?

Geometric isomers are molecules with the same chemical formula and connectivity but different spatial arrangements of their atoms. These differences in spatial arrangement result in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How do you determine the number of geometric isomers?

The number of geometric isomers can be determined by considering the number of chiral centers in a molecule. For every chiral center, there can be two possible geometric isomers. Therefore, a molecule with n chiral centers can have up to 2^n geometric isomers.

3. What are the methods used to separate geometric isomers?

The most common method to separate geometric isomers is through chromatography, specifically high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Other methods include gas chromatography (GC), capillary electrophoresis, and distillation.

4. How do you calculate the relative stability of geometric isomers?

The relative stability of geometric isomers can be calculated using the concept of free energy. Geometric isomers with lower free energy are more stable. The free energy can be calculated using thermodynamic equations and taking into account the different bond angles and lengths in each isomer.

5. What are the real-life applications of studying geometric isomers?

Studying geometric isomers has many real-life applications, such as in pharmaceuticals, where different isomers of a drug may have different biological activities and side effects. It is also important in the production of polymers, as different isomers can result in different physical properties of the material. Additionally, understanding geometric isomers is crucial in the field of organic synthesis, where the desired isomer must be produced to achieve a specific reaction or product.