Get a Job w/NASA: Transfer or Mechanical BS?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for a freshman in college who wants to become an Astronautical Engineer and work for NASA. The person is currently enrolled in a school without an Aerospace program and is considering transferring to the Air Force Academy to receive a BS in Astronautical Engineering. However, the conversation also mentions the challenges of getting a job at NASA and the difficulty of transferring to the Air Force Academy. The person may also consider getting a BS in Mechanical Engineering and then a Masters in Astronautical Engineering to increase their chances of working for NASA. A link is provided for a reality check on the likelihood of working for NASA.
Starcrossed97
Hi everyone I am currently a freshman in college planning on applying to the School of Engineering next fall. I want to be an Astronautical Engineer but my school doesn't even have Aerospace so I was planning on doing Mechanical. I would like to work for NASA as an Astronaut but I would also be happy designing Space Systems and Propulsion systems. Should I transfer to the Air Force Academy and do the rest of my undergrad there and receive my BS in Astronautical Engineering or should I stay and get my BS in Mechanical and then get a Masters in Astronautical Engineering and work for a NASA lab and try my luck applying as a NASA Civil Servant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting a job at NASA (and many gov't labs) is tough.

Getting into USAFA is tough too. I was on the faculty there, and I don't think they accept transfer students. You need to enter as a Freshman and do four years. It is an excellent education, and will set you up very well for a government engineering career. It may be the best possible path for aspiring astronauts and other gov't careers in aero/astro engineering.

1. How do I transfer to NASA with a Mechanical Engineering degree?

To transfer to NASA with a Mechanical Engineering degree, you will need to meet the minimum qualifications for the position you are interested in. These qualifications may include a certain level of education, relevant experience, and specialized skills. You can search and apply for available positions on NASA's official website.

2. Can I apply for a NASA job if I have a degree in a related field?

Yes, NASA considers applicants with degrees in related fields for many positions. However, you may need to demonstrate how your degree and experience make you a qualified candidate for the specific job you are applying for.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take to increase my chances of getting a job at NASA?

While there are no specific courses that guarantee a job at NASA, it is recommended to take courses in areas such as aerospace engineering, computer science, and math. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can also make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Do I need to have a high GPA to get a job at NASA?

NASA looks for candidates with a strong academic background, but a high GPA is not the only factor considered. Your experience, skills, and passion for the field are also important factors in the hiring process. Additionally, some positions may have minimum GPA requirements, so it is best to check the job posting for specific requirements.

5. How can I stand out as a candidate for a job at NASA?

To stand out as a candidate for a job at NASA, it is important to have a strong combination of education, experience, and skills. In addition, showcasing your passion for space exploration and your ability to work well in a team can also make you a standout candidate. Networking and gaining experience through internships or research projects can also help you stand out to NASA hiring managers.