Getting a job in Google or SpaceX

In summary, the speaker is an electronics engineer from India who recently joined a startup in the electronics branch and has discovered new abilities. They are interested in working at companies such as Google and SpaceX and are seeking advice on how to get there. The advice given is to network with people at the companies, attend IEEE meetings, and highlight relevant skills in their resume.
darklord27
Hey there guys,
I'm an electronics engineer who just finished the course. I'm from India and as we Indians say, we decide what to pursue after doing an engineering degree. I have got job offers from companies such as Deloitte in their consulting division. But recently I joined a startup in the electronics branch and even though I'm not competent as required,I have discovered that I can actually do stuff which I thought was impossible while i was still in school. The best part is the fun, frustration and the happiness that comes with the job. I recently read about Google's restructuring and am pretty fascinated by their Rn D work and how they aim to bring about change in the world. And as far as SpaceX is concerned, Elon Musk is my hero and working there would be a dream come true. Any advices on how to get there?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no golden road to get there. First, I'd scope out the companies, check their job postings, get to know anyone who works there and begin networking with them.

Sometimes engineers will present papers at the IEEE meetings and you might be able to meet them there and strike up a conversation about their paper. This could lead to someone telling you about upcoming job postings.

Its a lot of hard work but can pay off. Also you must convince them that you have a skill that they need and you should write your resume highlighting the things they are looking for and not necessarily everything you've done. Basically take a job posting and rewrite your resume to truthfully highlight what they said so it doesn't get rejected or filed away too soon. As an example, you may know many programming languages but they only want Java then highlight the Java and maybe other languages that are relevant to the job posting so they'll see that. (keep a copy of every resume sent with each job posting, you'll need it later if you get an interview)

1. How can I increase my chances of getting a job at Google or SpaceX?

In order to increase your chances of getting a job at Google or SpaceX, it is important to have a strong educational background and relevant work experience. Additionally, networking and building connections within the industry can also be beneficial. It is also important to research the companies and their values, and make sure your skills and qualifications align with their needs.

2. What type of skills and qualifications are required for a job at Google or SpaceX?

The specific skills and qualifications required for a job at Google or SpaceX will vary depending on the position. However, some common skills and qualifications that are often sought after by these companies include strong technical expertise, problem-solving abilities, teamwork and collaboration skills, and a passion for innovation and learning.

3. How can I prepare for the interview process at Google or SpaceX?

To prepare for the interview process at Google or SpaceX, it is important to research the company and the specific role you are applying for. This will help you understand the company's values and the skills and qualities they are looking for in a candidate. Additionally, practicing with mock interviews and brushing up on technical skills can also be helpful.

4. What is the culture like at Google or SpaceX?

The culture at Google and SpaceX is often described as innovative, fast-paced, and collaborative. Both companies value creativity and encourage their employees to think outside the box. They also prioritize work-life balance and offer various opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. Are there any specific requirements for international applicants seeking a job at Google or SpaceX?

Both Google and SpaceX have a global presence and welcome international applicants. However, it is important for international applicants to have the necessary work permits and visas to work in the country where the job is located. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of the local language and culture.