Getting a National Lab Job: How Competitive Are They?

In summary, there is a high level of competition for staff positions at national labs, similar to that of tenure-track professorships at R1 institutions. The level of competitiveness varies depending on the specific responsibilities of the position. Additionally, positions in scientific divisions at national labs typically have a limited duration of five years, with the exception of tenure-track positions. For those interested in engineering or programming positions, the competition may be more comparable to that of industry jobs. A two to three year postdoctoral position at a national lab is recommended as a way to gain experience and increase chances of securing a permanent job at a national lab or university.
jyoungs
I've heard of the difficulty of getting tenure-track professorships at R1 institutions, but I am curious about the competition at national labs (staff positions). How competitive are they?

I have just started grad school at an ivy league, for reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jobs where you direct your own research are at least as competitive.

Likes jyoungs
And going the other direction, jobs at national labs where you *don't* direct your own research are less competitive and more comparable to industry jobs.

At the lab where I work, there are a variety of positions with a variety of responsibilities, and some positions more competitive than others, depending on exactly what is expected. It's much easier to get a job working on science than it is to get a job working on *your* science.

Last edited:
Likes jyoungs
I was turned down for a national lab position right out of graduate school 16 years ago. I am I am now in the process of finalizing a position at one now. They are extremely competitive...

Likes berkeman and jyoungs
The OP was comparing the competitiveness of National Lab jobs against tenure-track R1 jobs so he or she was talking about "working on *your* science". I would say it is of comparable difficulty. Also, I agree with TMFKAN64 that it is easier to get a job as a Project Scientist. A Project Scientist lives on "soft money" meaning they are paid out of someone else's grant. I've never seen one last more than a year or two. It is kind of like a super postdoc.

However, if you're in a scientific division typically you can't work there forever. The Lab I work at has a limit of 5 years employment unless you get "tenure-track" (we call it "Career-Track".

If you're interested in being an engineer or programmer or something it is different. In that case it is probably similar to getting a job in industry.

Likes berkeman
Aim for a two or three year postdoctoral position at a national lab. That is the best way to get postdoctoral experience to aim for either a National Laboratory or a university permanent job. My first post doc was a teaching position at one of the leading universities. I took it because of the prestige, but it stalled my career until I later went to a national lab for several years. I wound up with tenure at a second-rank University.

jyoungs said:
I've heard of the difficulty of getting tenure-track professorships at R1 institutions, but I am curious about the competition at national labs (staff positions). How competitive are they?

I have just started grad school at an ivy league, for reference.

National lab staff position is extremely competitive, as competitive as a university. If you are seeking positions as physicists/scientists or engineers, many US Nat'l labs have the same structure as universities, i.e. Associate Scientist, Assistant Scientist, and Scientists, in correspondence to the level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor at universities.

Do not be fooled by published report of the number of people that work at a US Nat'l Lab. A large number of these people are users from other institutions. This is especially true if there are user facilities on site. So many of these people at the labs are not lab employees.

Zz.

1. What qualifications are necessary for a National Lab job?

To be considered for a National Lab job, one typically needs at least a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as science, engineering, or mathematics. Many positions also require a Master's or PhD degree. Additionally, relevant research experience and publications are highly valued.

2. How competitive is the job market for National Labs?

The job market for National Labs can be very competitive, as these institutions are highly regarded and attract top talent from around the world. It is important to have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a clear understanding of the lab's mission and goals when applying for these positions.

3. What types of National Lab jobs are available?

National Labs offer a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as physics, biology, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. These can include research positions, technical roles, administrative jobs, and more. It is important to carefully review job postings to find the best fit for your skills and interests.

4. Are National Lab jobs only available to US citizens?

No, National Lab jobs are open to both US citizens and non-US citizens. However, certain positions may require security clearance, which may limit non-US citizens from being eligible. It is best to check with the specific National Lab for their hiring policies.

5. What is the application process for National Lab jobs?

The application process for National Lab jobs typically involves submitting a resume, cover letter, and any relevant supporting materials such as transcripts or publications. Some positions may also require letters of recommendation. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and submit all required materials by the deadline.