Getting new irreducible representations from old ones

In summary, if we have a group G and all of its irreducible representations over the real numbers, we can construct its complex representation by taking the tensor product with the complex numbers. However, this does not guarantee that the resulting representation will be irreducible. As seen in the example of the cyclic group of order 3, the complexification of an irreducible real representation may not be irreducible itself.
hideelo
Suppose I had some group G, and I could classify all of its irreducible K-representations for some K = R,C, or H. Given that information (how) can I classify its irreducible K-representations for all K.

i.e. suppose I knew all the irreducible real representations of G, (how) could I then get all the irreducible complex and quaternionic representations?

Physics news on Phys.org
A standard method in case of linear representations on a real vectorspace ##V_\mathbb{R}## is to construct ##V_\mathbb{C} = V_\mathbb{R} \otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C}## and define for a given ##\varphi_\mathbb{R} \, : \,G \longrightarrow GL(V_\mathbb{R})##
$$
\varphi_\mathbb{C} \, : \,G \longrightarrow GL(V_\mathbb{C}) \quad \text{ by } \quad \varphi_\mathbb{C}(g)(\lambda\cdot v) = \varphi_\mathbb{R}(g)(v) \otimes \lambda
$$
I'm not sure, however, whether they automatically will be irreducible again, as there are simply more eigenvalues available, so I doubt it.

hideelo said:
suppose I knew all the irreducible real representations of G, (how) could I then get all the irreducible complex and quaternionic representations?

Unfortunately, you can't. Consider the cyclic group of order 3. Its only irreducible real representation is the trivial one, but it has three irreducible complex representations.
fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure, however, whether they automatically will be irreducible again, as there are simply more eigenvalues available, so I doubt it.
Indeed, let the cyclic group of order 3 act on [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with a generator corresponding to rotation by [itex]2\pi/3[/itex]. This representation is irreducible but its complexification isn't.

1. How are new irreducible representations obtained from old ones?

New irreducible representations can be obtained through the process of reducing a larger representation into its smaller, irreducible components. This can be achieved through techniques such as projection operators and decomposition into direct sums of irreducible representations.

2. What is the significance of obtaining new irreducible representations?

Obtaining new irreducible representations allows for a more efficient and comprehensive understanding of a given system or phenomenon. It also allows for the simplification of complex representations and can reveal deeper insights into the underlying structure of the system.

3. Can new irreducible representations be obtained from any type of representation?

Yes, new irreducible representations can be obtained from any type of representation, as long as the representation is reducible. This means that the representation can be broken down into its smaller, irreducible components.

4. Are there any limitations to obtaining new irreducible representations?

One limitation to obtaining new irreducible representations is that it may not always be possible to reduce a given representation into its irreducible components. In some cases, the complexity of the representation may make it difficult to identify and isolate the individual irreducible components.

5. How are new irreducible representations used in scientific research?

New irreducible representations are commonly used in scientific research to analyze and understand complex systems, such as molecules, crystals, and electronic structures. They can also be used to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions and to design experiments to test theoretical predictions.