Ghosts on Physics Forums: Who's Here & Who's Not?

In summary, the conversation discusses the website's main page, which displays information about staff, members, guests, and robots. The term "ghosts" is brought up, but it is determined that they are most likely members who have chosen to not show their online status. The purpose of these robots is also discussed, with the conclusion that they are mostly search engines.
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
The website on the main page on the lower right will tell you the staff that is on, and some of the members, along with that it tells you how many guests and how many "ghosts" are these just random computers that have left Physics Forums open in another tab? (Something I have been guilty of many times!)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not 100 % certain, but my wild shot in the dark is that those are members who have chosen to not show their online status.

Likes Bibleman and RaulTheUCSCSlug
That's what I see:
Total: 910 (members: 57, guests: 771, robots: 82)
I hope these forums are not haunted!

mfb said:
That's what I see:

I hope these forums are not haunted!
Same -- I've never come across the term 'ghost' in the members list.

Woah, creepy, I thought it said ghosts, but now it says robots. Maybe it was always robots and I just got mixed up. .Oh well, the world will never know. :rolleyes: :biggrin: but why would anyone ever have a bot on this site? Leeching the data of new threads/responses?

Or maybe I am not sure what a "robot" is, anyone care to explain?

Last edited:
Those robots are mainly search engines, looking for new things in the forums.

1. Do ghosts really exist?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts. While some people may believe in their existence based on personal experiences or cultural beliefs, there is no way to scientifically prove their existence.

2. Can ghosts interact with the physical world?

Again, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that ghosts have the ability to interact with the physical world. Any supposed interactions can usually be explained by natural phenomena or human error.

3. Can ghosts be explained by physics?

As ghosts are not a scientifically proven phenomenon, there is no way for physics to explain their existence. However, some scientists have proposed theories about how certain optical illusions or electromagnetic fields could potentially create experiences that people interpret as ghosts.

4. Can science prove or disprove the existence of ghosts?

No, science cannot prove or disprove the existence of ghosts as it is not a testable or measurable concept. Science can only study and explain natural phenomena that can be observed and measured.

5. Have any scientific studies been done on ghosts?

While there have been some studies attempting to investigate the existence of ghosts, they have not yielded any conclusive evidence. Most scientific research focuses on explaining paranormal experiences through psychology, biology, or physics rather than attempting to prove the existence of ghosts.