Given a triangle ABC, on which side of the triangle does the point D lie?

In summary: AD = AB + BC, BD = AC + BD, CD = AB + AC.Their various cross products will be:AD = BC, BD = AB, CD = AC.
VladStoyanoff
So I've got the following problem:

I have points A, B, and C which form a triangle in a 3D space (each point of the triangle has x,y, and z coordinates). I need to find out on which side of the triangle point D lies. I do not have access to the normal of the triangle.

How am I supposed to solve this problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you have the nine coordinates, then you have the plane and therewith the normal. If not, what do you have?

Likes topsquark
fresh_42 said:
If you have the nine coordinates, then you have the plane and therewith the normal. If not, what do you have?
I am not given any coordinates for the problem, actually, I am asking what kind of information I need so that I can solve the problem. Like a general way of solving it if that makes sense. After I have the normal how would I approach the question?

By the right-hand rule or something. In order to determine a side you must first have criteria to distinguish them. Two vectors spanning the plane, plus the normal give you either the right or left hand.

Likes VladStoyanoff
The coordinates of the four points, ##A, B, C, D##, is all the information you need. You first must define which "side" is which.
Suppose you define the side by the cross product between the ##V_1 = \bar{AB}## and ##V_2 = \bar{AC}## vectors. Using the right-hand rule, form the cross product ## N=V_1 \times V_2##. One side would be those points, ##X##, where the vector from ##A## to ##X## has a positive dot product with ##N##. The other side would have a negative dot product with ##N##.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, .Scott and VladStoyanoff
fresh_42 said:
If you have the nine coordinates, then you have the plane
And three lines. Plug and check.
VladStoyanoff said:
I am not given any coordinates for the problem
What then does it mean to say you have three points? What do you have about them if not their location?

Likes topsquark
There are two ways of interpreting "side of the triangle".
One is which side of the triangles plane does point D land.
The other is which of the three sides of the triangle does point D land.

Go with @FactChecker for the first interpretation.

Else, I would start with vectors AD, BD, and CD.
What will their various cross products be?

Likes FactChecker and topsquark

1. What is the significance of point D in relation to triangle ABC?

Point D is a point located outside of triangle ABC. It is used to determine on which side of the triangle the point lies.

2. How is the position of point D determined in relation to triangle ABC?

The position of point D is determined by comparing its coordinates to the coordinates of the three vertices of triangle ABC. By using the concept of slope, the side on which point D lies can be determined.

3. Can point D lie on more than one side of the triangle?

No, point D can only lie on one side of the triangle. This is because a point cannot simultaneously have two different coordinates, which would be necessary for it to be on more than one side of the triangle.

4. What is the formula for determining the position of point D in relation to triangle ABC?

The formula for determining the position of point D is (y - y1) / (x - x1) = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of two vertices of the triangle and (x, y) are the coordinates of point D.

5. How is the position of point D used in geometry?

The position of point D is used in geometry to determine the orientation of a triangle. It can also be used to calculate the area of a triangle and to solve various geometric problems involving triangles.