Given the Set S ={1,2,3,4}. Define a relation on S that

In summary, the conversation discusses defining a relation that is symmetric and transitive, but not reflexive, on a set with a certain number of ordered pairs. The person suggests adding pairs to the relation, but realizes that adding certain pairs would make the relation reflexive. It is then mentioned that an empty set could also represent a symmetric and transitive, but not reflexive, relation.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

a.) Is symmetric and transitive, but not reflective:

b.) consists of exactly 8 ordered pairs and is symmetric and transitive:

The Attempt at a Solution

If the question asks me to define some relation, do I need to define some math property like power of some number or something like that or can I just state some set R that satisfies what they require?
R = { (1,2), ( 1,3 ), (1,4 ) , ( 2,3) , (2,1) , (2,4) , ( 3,1) , (3,2) , (3,4) , (4,1), (4,2), (4,3) }
Is this correct?

About part
b.) Any idea

Physics news on Phys.org
For b) R cannot be reflexive, but you could still have aRa for some a, just not all.

Does that help?

knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

a.) Is symmetric and transitive, but not reflective:

b.) consists of exactly 8 ordered pairs and is symmetric and transitive:

The Attempt at a Solution

If the question asks me to define some relation, do I need to define some math property like power of some number or something like that or can I just state some set R that satisfies what they require?
R = { (1,2), ( 1,3 ), (1,4 ) , ( 2,3) , (2,1) , (2,4) , ( 3,1) , (3,2) , (3,4) , (4,1), (4,2), (4,3) }
Is this correct?

You have (1,2) and (2,1) in that set, so if the relation is transitive then (1,1) should be in there, but it isn't. And in fact transitivity requires that all ordered pairs be in that set, so the relation is reflexive.

pasmith said:
You have (1,2) and (2,1) in that set, so if the relation is transitive then (1,1) should be in there, but it isn't. And in fact transitivity requires that all ordered pairs be in that set, so the relation is reflexive.

But, the problem states that we don't want transitivity. Should the solution be that there does not exist such relation, then?

PeroK said:
For b) R cannot be reflexive, but you could still have aRa for some a, just not all.

Actually a symmetric and transitive relation on [itex]\{1,2,3,4\}[/itex] which consists of exactly eight ordered pairs must be reflexive.

There are only four diagonal pairs, so you must have aRb for some distinct a and b.

Symmetry requires that if aRb for distinct a and b then bRa, and hence transitivity requires aRa and bRb. That's four ordered pairs.

If you add aRc for [itex]c \notin \{a,b\}[/itex] then you must also add cRa, cRc, bRc and cRb, which is another five.

Last edited:
So, you are saying that there exists a relation of 9 ordered pairs, but not 8?

knowLittle said:
But, the problem states that we don't want transitivity. Should the solution be that there does not exist such relation, then?

Part (a) states that you don't want reflexivity.

There are many relations on {1,2,3,4} which are symmetric and transitive but not reflexive.

Last edited:
knowLittle said:
So, you are saying that there exists a relation of 9 ordered pairs, but not 8?

That's not what I'm saying.

Also, part (b) does not require that your relation not be reflexive.

For part a.)
Symmetry does not imply reflexivity?
R= { (1,2) , (2,1 ) , (1,1), ...}

knowLittle said:
For part a.)
Symmetry does not imply reflexivity?

R= { (1,2) , (2,1 ) , (1,1), ...}

What's the "..."?

pasmith said:
What's the "..."?
I was just trying to show the simplest case, when if symmetry and transitivity is required, then reflexivity is implied. So, this is my question. Does symmetry and transitivity imply reflexivity?
The dots meant some other pairs I didn't want to think about.

Nevermind, the properties are defined only when every ##x \in S## is defined in R.

Sorry, but my concepts were off.

The solution to both could be this:

## R = \{ (1,2), (1,1) , (1,3) , (2,1), (2,3) , (2,2) , (3,1), (3,2) \}##

Is this correct?

knowLittle said:
I was just trying to show the simplest case, when if symmetry and transitivity is required, then reflexivity is implied. So, this is my question. Does symmetry and transitivity imply reflexivity?

No. {(1,1)} is a relation on S which is symmetric and transitive but is not reflexive.

knowLittle said:
Sorry, but my concepts were off.

The solution to both could be this:

## R = \{ (1,2), (1,1) , (1,3) , (2,1), (2,3) , (2,2) , (3,1), (3,2) \}##

Is this correct?

No, because [itex](3,3) \notin R[/itex] so R is not transitive: 3R1 and 1R3 require 3R3.

Start with R = {(1,1), (1,2), (2,1), (2,2)}. How can you add four more pairs while keeping R symmetric and transitive? You can't add (1,3) or (2,3) or (3,1) or (3,2), because adding anyone of those to R requires adding the other three and (3,3) to R. That's an extra five pairs.

pasmith said:
No. {(1,1)} is a relation on S which is symmetric and transitive but is not reflexive.

An interesting option would be the relation represented by the empty set! That would be symmetric and transitive but not reflexive.

What is a relation?

A relation is a mathematical concept that describes the connection or association between two or more elements in a set. It can be represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element in each pair is related to the second element in some way.

How do you define a relation on a given set?

To define a relation on a given set, you need to specify how each element in the set is related to other elements in the set. This can be done by listing all the ordered pairs that make up the relation or by providing a rule or condition that determines the relation between elements.

What is the relation on the set S = {1,2,3,4}?

There are many possible relations that can be defined on the set S = {1,2,3,4}. One possible relation is less than or equal to, where each element is related to all the elements that are smaller than or equal to it. So, the relation on S would be {(1,1), (1,2), (1,3), (1,4), (2,2), (2,3), (2,4), (3,3), (3,4), (4,4)}.

What are the properties of a relation?

The properties of a relation include reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element in the set is related to itself. Symmetry means that if element A is related to element B, then element B is also related to element A. Transitivity means that if element A is related to element B, and element B is related to element C, then element A is also related to element C.

What is the importance of relations in mathematics?

Relations are important in mathematics because they help us understand and describe the connections between elements in a set. They are used in various mathematical concepts, such as functions, equivalence relations, and order relations. Relations also play a crucial role in many real-world applications, including computer science, economics, and physics.