Glass fibre Aquarium pool minimum thickness?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and design considerations for a project involving a glassfibre tank with specific dimensions and an E-module of 70,000 N/mm2. The tank will be used for a demonstration and will need to withstand pressure from water and other external forces. The weak areas of the tank are identified, but will not be included in the calculations due to complexity. The use of aluminum to support these areas is also mentioned. The project is a budget assignment for a college and the individuals are seeking advice on which formulas to use to calculate the thickness of the tank.
Daniel Engebretsen
Hello, I am working on a Project and it has been a while since i did calculations With mechanics.
The pool would be made in glassfibre with polyester and will be:
L=2000mm
W= 1750mm
h= 400mm
we use the E-module for glass, so we use E= 70 000 N/mm2
I= bh3/12 = 2000mm x 4003 mm /12 = 1,067 x 1010mm4

Supporting conditions:
The tank would lay flat on the ground, so the pressure from the water is the only forces in place, and we asume the pressure would be 3,9kpa = 2080N

The tank by it self is only for demonstration purposes, to illustrate how a scale-ship With DPS works. We will have Wind (by fans) and also a pump to make water flows in the tank. And the idea is that the Scale-ship would automatically adjust itself, and not move under these conditions. (this is offtopic and will be done With programming in LabView.)

The weak areas of the tank would be the edges at the sides, as each of the tank's plates would be produced one by one and "welded" together. But we avoid calculating this, as it makes it too complicated.

We might use aluminum ( the same E module) to support these edges, but this depends on our budget. so we need to calculate without it first.We are making this as a budget project assignment at our collage.

Any tips on what formula's to use to calculate the thickness of the tank? or any tips in general? We need to start making the final worksheets in Inventor to hold our deadline, and that's why we need to figure out the thickness.
I apologze for my weak grammar, i am Norwegian.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened after a Mentor discussion. Thanks for your patience. :smile:

1. What is the minimum thickness for a glass fibre aquarium pool?

The minimum thickness for a glass fibre aquarium pool varies depending on the size and shape of the pool, but it is generally recommended to be at least 1/4 inch (6mm) thick.

2. What are the benefits of using glass fibre for an aquarium pool?

Glass fibre is a strong and durable material that is resistant to cracks, leaks, and corrosion. It is also lightweight, making it easier to transport and install. Additionally, glass fibre can be molded into various shapes and sizes, allowing for customizable aquarium designs.

3. Can the thickness of a glass fibre aquarium pool be increased for added strength?

Yes, the thickness of a glass fibre aquarium pool can be increased for added strength. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the pool can support the added weight and that the structural integrity is not compromised.

4. Is there a maximum thickness for a glass fibre aquarium pool?

There is no specific maximum thickness for a glass fibre aquarium pool, as it ultimately depends on the specific design and requirements of the pool. However, increasing the thickness beyond a certain point may not significantly increase the strength and may add unnecessary weight and cost.

5. How does the minimum thickness for a glass fibre aquarium pool affect its lifespan?

The minimum thickness of a glass fibre aquarium pool is an important factor in its longevity. A pool that is too thin may be more prone to cracks and leaks, reducing its lifespan. On the other hand, a pool that is too thick may be unnecessarily heavy and costly. Finding the right balance is key to ensuring the pool's durability and longevity.