Glass Thermal Energy: Solid Glass Beam w/ Spiral Column

In summary, if a spiral column is made through the center of a glass beam, the core would be colder than the surrounding air. If used in conjunction with ground source technology, it could produce hot water.
boyband
TL;DR Summary
glass temperature core?
Could I put this on here for answers please ? If produced a solid glass beam with a spiral column thorough the middle of it would the core be hotter or cooler than the surrounding air? If colder could it be use in conjunction with ground source technology to produce hot water? I not sure how to do the spiral(or if it actually needs to be) I understand it would be very heavy, but I was hoping it would have enough strength to be structural? Would it work like a reverse radiator? Also does Iceland use it geo-thermal to produce glass products?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you could clarify your post a bit, that would help. What do you mean by a "spiral" inside the glass beam? Is the spiral hollow, or a spiral of metal like a spring? If hollow, what is inside it (fluid, air, other)?

Why is the column made from glass? Are you using the transparency to allow sunlight to heat whatever is in the spiral area?

And what does this part mean?
boyband said:
Also does Iceland use it geo-thermal to produce glass products?

berkeman said:
If you could clarify your post a bit, that would help. What do you mean by a "spiral" inside the glass beam? Is the spiral hollow, or a spiral of metal like a spring? If hollow, what is inside it (fluid, air, other)?

Why is the column made from glass? Are you using the transparency to allow sunlight to heat whatever is in the spiral area?

And what does this part mean?
Yes I was thinking of spiral void that the refrigerant could travel. I though if you put a metal "spring" in and poured the melted glass over the spring with say Aluminium(or some metal that got a closer melting point to glass) so it forms a spiral void ?Is It possible? You would need a form to cast from ? If you touch a piece of glass it feels cooler than room temperature(although I think it will just be room temperature, but we are hot)? I'm imaging ground source heat pumps work on a constant of 10c-15c to produce heat. Thus my question would the temp stay constant in the middle of hollow glass ? I hope that's clearer?

Last edited:
Much of what you are asking is still hard to understand, but:
boyband said:
If you touch a piece of glass it feels cooler than room temperature(although I think it will just be room temperature, but we are hot)?
That's correct; certain materials feel cold merely because they are cooler than our skin and are very good at conducting heat away from it. You should notice that metal feels colder than glass when both are at room temperature.
I'm imaging ground source heat pumps work on a constant of 10c-15c to produce heat. Thus my question would the temp stay constant in the middle of hollow glass ? I hope that's clearer?
When hooked-up to a heat pump, a heat source will not stay at constant temperature. In order to produce heat for a room, the source must be made colder. Conservation of energy says we just move that heat from one place to another. So in order for this device of yours to be useful as a heat source, something must be adding heat to it.

Russ ,Thats the point? the fact that a ground source heat pump takes the constant temp of the loop buried to 1-2 metres ? The glass would radiate heat out and be colder@ core(10c-12c) they would be very heavy but would it be possible to produce warm water from this technology?

boyband said:
Russ ,Thats the point? the fact that a ground source heat pump takes the constant temp of the loop buried to 1-2 metres ? The glass would radiate heat out and be colder@ core(10c-12c) they would be very heavy but would it be possible to produce warm water from this technology?
Sorry if my last message was unclear, but it seems like you have it backwards. If this device is the source, the heat pump will make it colder and the environment must warm it up. That's why berkeman asked if you intended it to be heated by the sun.

@boyband,

There are many geothermal heating/cooling systems. You should study them.
I see no special advantage to using glass pipes.

1610717013356.png

Likes russ_watters
Sounds like a condenser column.
1610719564308.jpeg

That's along the lines I was thinking it condensing the refrigerant, could it be strong enough to be a structural part of a building ? solar thermal properties if cold and if hot cooling? Thank you all for your time

Glass is very brittle. Put your hand on the condensing coils of a running air conditioner sometime. The vibration is SIGNIFICANT! Glass just wouldn’t hold up to that. Surface defects like scratches would make it even more fragile.

Likes russ_watters
boyband said:
That's along the lines I was thinking it condensing the refrigerant, could it be strong enough to be a structural part of a building ? solar thermal properties if cold and if hot cooling? Thank you all for your time
So, again; you're describing a condenser, but in order for this to be the source for a heat pump it needs to be an evaporator.

I would not expect this to be a viable structural material for a building. It's rare to use glass for structural applications because it is so brittle. But it can be strong.

russ_watters said:
So, again; you're describing a condenser, but in order for this to be the source for a heat pump it needs to be an evaporator.

It would actually be both evaporator and condenser depending on the season.

chemisttree said:
It would actually be both evaporator and condenser depending on the season.
Could be, though thus far he's only describing winter/heating. For summer/cooling I'm not sure where the heat would reject to.

1. What is glass thermal energy?

Glass thermal energy is the amount of heat energy that can be stored and transferred through a solid glass object. It is influenced by factors such as the material composition, thickness, and surface area of the glass.

2. How does a solid glass beam with a spiral column affect thermal energy?

A solid glass beam with a spiral column can affect thermal energy in several ways. The spiral column can increase the surface area of the glass, allowing for more heat transfer. Additionally, the spiral shape can create convection currents, which can also impact the movement of heat energy.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and thermal energy in glass?

The temperature of glass is directly related to its thermal energy. As the temperature of glass increases, so does its thermal energy. This is because heat energy causes the molecules in the glass to vibrate and move faster, increasing the overall thermal energy.

4. How does the thermal conductivity of glass affect its thermal energy?

The thermal conductivity of glass is a measure of how well it can transfer heat energy. A higher thermal conductivity means that heat can move through the glass more easily, resulting in a higher thermal energy. This is why thicker glass objects tend to have a higher thermal energy than thinner ones.

5. Can the thermal energy of glass be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the thermal energy of glass can be controlled and manipulated through various methods. For example, the use of insulating materials, such as foam or air pockets, can reduce the transfer of heat energy through the glass. Additionally, applying coatings or films to the glass can also impact its thermal energy by altering its surface properties.