Gluing lemma / infinite corollary

• I
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary: The intersection of ##A_0## with the ##A_i \; (i>0)## which forces you to clue them there is the set of all indices i such that both ##A_i## and ##A_0## are closed in X.
PsychonautQQ
Gluing Lemma: Let X be a topological space, and suppose X = A_1 U A_2 U ... U A_k, which each A_i is closed in X. For each i, let f_i: A_i ---> Y be a continious map s.t f_i = f_j on the intersection of A_i and A_j.

Then the book goes on to give an example of where this is not true for an arbitrary union rather than a finite union:
By consider the subspace X=[0,1] of R, and the sets A_0 = {0} and A_i = [1/(i+1) , 1/i] for i=1,2,3... the gluing lemma is false.

The proof is left as an exercise. This is not homework so i feel no guilty posting it here, where it's more likely to be read by somebody that has some insight into the problem. Can anybody show me why the gluing lemma no longer applies?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the statement of the lemma is, that the ##f_i## can be extended to a continuous map ##f\, : \,X\longrightarrow Y## ? In the example, how should continuity at ##x=0## be achieved?

Likes PsychonautQQ
So given a neighborhood V of f(0) in Y, we need a neighborhood U of 0 in X s.t. f(U) is contained in f(V).

That being said, we know that f_0: {0} ---> Y is a continuous map. Therefore given a neighborhood M of f_0({0}) in Y, there exists a neighborhood N of x in X s.t. f_0(N) is contained in M. But this is obviously, because there in the subspace {0} of [0,1], the neighborhood N can be chosen to be the open set that contains only 0. This no longer works when we take the union of the singleton set {0] with all the closed intervals because there is no longer an open set containing only 0. I feel that I'm missing some details and possibly some notation errors.

I think it has to see with the fact that an arbitrary union of closed sets is not necessarily closed. Consider a closed subset ##W \subset Y## , so that ##f^{-1}(W)|{A_i}:=V_i ## is closed in each ##A_i##, by continuity. If we consider ##f^{-1}(W)## over ##X=A_1 \cup A_2 \cup...\cup A_j \cup ...##, we will get an arbitrary union of closed sets, which may not be closed. Let me see if I can think of an example of a function.

Likes PsychonautQQ
If your question is to give a counterexample, here's a hint:

##A_0## is disjoint from each ##A_i## (if ##i\geq 1##) so changing the value of a function ##f## on ##A_0## doesn't affect whether the hypotheses are met. But clearly at most a single value of ##f## at ##0## can give continuity there.

Likes PsychonautQQ
It may also be the case that in this case ##0## is a limit point of your set, so you need to use sequential continuity.

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:
So given a neighborhood V of f(0) in Y, we need a neighborhood U of 0 in X s.t. f(U) is contained in f(V).

That being said, we know that f_0: {0} ---> Y is a continuous map. Therefore given a neighborhood M of f_0({0}) in Y, there exists a neighborhood N of x in X s.t. f_0(N) is contained in M. But this is obviously, because there in the subspace {0} of [0,1], the neighborhood N can be chosen to be the open set that contains only 0. This no longer works when we take the union of the singleton set {0] with all the closed intervals because there is no longer an open set containing only 0. I feel that I'm missing some details and possibly some notation errors.
What is the intersection of ##A_0## with the ##A_i \; (i>0)## which forces you to clue them there?

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. What is the gluing lemma/infinite corollary?

The gluing lemma, also known as the infinite corollary, is a theorem in mathematics that states that if a space can be decomposed into two open sets, then any continuous function on each of those sets can be "glued" together to form a continuous function on the entire space.

2. What are the applications of the gluing lemma/infinite corollary?

The gluing lemma/infinite corollary has many applications in topology, algebraic geometry, and differential geometry. It is used to prove the existence of continuous functions, construct smooth manifolds, and establish properties of topological spaces.

3. How is the gluing lemma/infinite corollary related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The gluing lemma/infinite corollary is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus in that it allows for the "gluing" of two continuous functions to form a new continuous function, similar to how the fundamental theorem of calculus allows for the integration of a function by finding its antiderivative.

4. Can the gluing lemma/infinite corollary be generalized to more than two open sets?

Yes, the gluing lemma/infinite corollary can be generalized to any finite number of open sets. It can also be extended to infinite collections of open sets under certain conditions, known as "paracompactness."

5. Are there any limitations to the gluing lemma/infinite corollary?

The gluing lemma/infinite corollary has some limitations, as it requires that the open sets be "compatible" in a certain way. If the open sets have disjoint closures, for example, then the lemma cannot be applied. Additionally, the lemma does not hold for non-Hausdorff spaces.