Good information on magnets, magnetic energy, magnetic forces

In summary, the conversation is about finding good information and resources for magnets, specifically about magnet's, magnetic energy, and magnetic forces. The person is also interested in finding a place to order or make rare Earth magnets. They are seeking help and advice from someone with a great understanding of magnets. The conversation also mentions two online sources, one listing various grades of Neodymium magnets and the other providing information about magnetic fields, forces, and equations.
satelliteguy
Can anyone point me in the direction of good information on magnet's, magnetic energy, magnetic forces. Or does anybody have a good understanding of this?

Would really like to find somewhere that I can order magnets. Or better yet, make good one's myself, or find out how to find rare Earth magnets.

Thank you for any help on this. If anyone has a great understanding of magnets, I have a ton of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

satelliteguy said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of good information on magnet's, magnetic energy, magnetic forces. Or does anybody have a good understanding of this?

Would really like to find somewhere that I can order magnets. Or better yet, make good one's myself, or find out how to find rare Earth magnets.

Thank you for any help on this. If anyone has a great understanding of magnets, I have a ton of questions.

I found an online source that lists the various grades of Neodymium magnets they sell. They list specifications. http://www.magnetsales.com/index.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Found that site too. Would like to find some info on magnetic fields, forces, and equations for these.

This might be a start
http://www.arnoldmagnetics.com/mtc/calc_gauss_cyl.htm"

Ya, know. I don't know why I gave you that above link. I must have got them comfused. If I am looking for a reputable site for materials, if they manage specifications rather than yacking up how wonderful their stuff is, I feel more comfortable departing with cash. This is the one I was thinking of
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are magnets and how do they work?

Magnets are objects made of certain materials, such as iron, that produce a magnetic field. This field is what causes the force of attraction or repulsion between two magnets. Magnets have two poles, a north pole and a south pole, and opposite poles attract while like poles repel.

2. How is magnetic energy created?

Magnetic energy is created when an electric current flows through a wire or conductor, causing a magnetic field to form around it. This can be seen in electromagnets, which use a current to create a temporary magnetic field. Permanent magnets, on the other hand, have their magnetic energy created by the alignment of atoms within the material.

3. What are some practical applications of magnets and magnetic energy?

Magnets and magnetic energy have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in motors and generators to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. They are also used in speakers, credit cards, and MRI machines, just to name a few.

4. Are all materials affected by magnetic forces?

No, not all materials are affected by magnetic forces. Only certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are considered magnetic materials and can be attracted to or repelled by magnets. Other materials, like plastic and wood, are not affected by magnetic forces.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetic properties?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetic properties over time. This is called demagnetization and can occur due to exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, permanent magnets can often be re-magnetized by exposing them to a strong magnetic field again.