GPC - Polymer solvent compatibility

In summary, a universal calibration curve has been created from PS and the molar mass of PVC at a certain elution volume has been calculated. This calibration curve will be useful for determining the viscosity of other polymers at a given elution volume.
Oakwater

Homework Statement

Given for polystyrene K = 1.6x10^5 and a = 0.71
and for PVC K = 1.5x10^5 and a = 0.77

a universal calibration curve has been created from PS and the molar mass of PVC at a certain elution volume has been calculated.

The part I'm not sure on is the question:

Show which of the two polymers is more compatible with tetrahydrofuran (THF).

Homework Equations

[η]= KM[itex]\stackrel{a}{v}[/itex]

[η][itex]_{x}[/itex] M[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [η][itex]_{PS}[/itex] M[itex]_{PS}[/itex]

K[itex]_{x}[/itex] M[itex]\stackrel{ax +1}{x}[/itex] = K[itex]_{PS}[/itex] M[itex]\stackrel{aps +1}{PS}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From my understanding the constant "a" in the equation is related to the polymer - solvent interaction, in that the higher the value of a, the more compatible with the solvent the polymer is.
Also for the molar mass of PVC compared to PS at a given elution volume the molar mass is lower than that of PS, is this relevant? as a increases the molar mass continues to drop and at lower a values the molar mass rises. Am I correct in thinking that a greater molar mass at a given elution volume means that there is less compatibility between the polymer and the solvent?
Essentially, am I on the right lines here as I have done considerable searching but cannot find anywhere that explicitly links the constant "a" with compatibility or a study on a link between molar mass at elution volumes to compatibility.

I apologise if my equations are not completely clear.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Mark-Houwink equation, [η]= K.Mv^a is what you want. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark–Houwink_equation

When a = 0.5 the polymer solvent interaction is theta, higher is good, lower is bad. PVC is more soluble in THF than PS because a is higher. This means its hydrodynamic volume will be different for the same molecular weight, and the PVC is a more extended chain than PS.

The remaining given equations can be used to determine a conversion, and gives a constant when resolved for converting the observed viscosity average MW (Mv) of PVC into the actual Mv.

1. What is GPC?

GPC stands for Gel Permeation Chromatography and it is a type of analytical technique used to determine the molecular weight and molecular weight distribution of polymers.

2. What is polymer solvent compatibility?

Polymer solvent compatibility refers to the ability of a polymer to dissolve or swell in a particular solvent. This is an important factor to consider when selecting solvents for polymer synthesis or when choosing a solvent for GPC analysis.

3. What factors affect polymer solvent compatibility?

The chemical structure and molecular weight of the polymer, as well as the polarity and viscosity of the solvent, can all affect polymer solvent compatibility. Other factors such as temperature and concentration can also play a role.

4. Why is polymer solvent compatibility important in GPC analysis?

In GPC analysis, the polymer is dissolved in a solvent and passed through a column to separate its components based on molecular weight. If the polymer is not compatible with the solvent, it may not dissolve or may interact with the column, leading to inaccurate results.

5. How can polymer solvent compatibility be determined?

Polymer solvent compatibility can be determined through various methods such as solubility testing, visual observation, and chromatographic analysis. However, the most accurate and reliable method is to consult compatibility charts or databases that provide information on specific polymers and solvents.