Grad School vs Work: Post-BS Decision Help

In summary, the conversation is about the decision between continuing to grad school or going straight to industry after completing a BS degree. The speaker asks for input from others in their field (EE, ME, etc.) and mentions their own experience of going straight to an MSEE after their BSEE. They also mention receiving a scholarship from Bell Labs as motivation.
Maxwell
Hey guys, I am wondering what the majority of you did right after you finished your BS degree. I am deciding between continuing to grad school vs. going right to industry. I don't want to do both at the same time.

If possible, with your answer, please tell me your field (EE, ME, etc.)

I kind of need to make a decision soon... and I am pretty torn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I went straight to my MSEE after my BSEE. I was pretty sure that I wanted to get an MSEE, and it seemed easiest to just do the extra 8 months and get it right away. Also, I was offered a scholarship by Bell Labs for my MSEE, so that was extra motivation to do it right away.

Hi there,

As someone who has gone through this decision process myself, I can offer some insight. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and I chose to go straight into the workforce after graduation.

First, it's important to consider your long-term career goals. Are you looking to advance in a specific field or industry? Do you want to eventually pursue a leadership or management role? This can help guide your decision between grad school and work.

If you are interested in pursuing a specific field or industry, it may be beneficial to gain real-world experience through a job before going back to school for a graduate degree. This will not only give you a better understanding of the industry, but also make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs in the future.

On the other hand, if your ultimate goal is to pursue a higher level position or specialize in a particular area of your field, grad school may be the best option for you. It can also provide networking opportunities and access to resources that may not be available in the workforce.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals and priorities. It's important to weigh the pros and cons of both options and consider your financial situation as well. Grad school can be expensive, but it may also lead to higher earning potential in the long run.

In my experience, going straight into the workforce has allowed me to gain valuable experience and develop practical skills that I can apply in my career. However, I do plan on pursuing a graduate degree in the future to further advance in my field.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

Related to Grad School vs Work: Post-BS Decision Help

1. Should I go to grad school or start working after obtaining my Bachelor's degree?

This is a common question that many students face after completing their undergraduate studies. The answer to this question depends on your career goals and personal circumstances. Grad school can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field and can make you more competitive in the job market. On the other hand, starting work can provide valuable real-world experience and help you start earning a salary sooner. Consider your long-term goals and weigh the pros and cons of both options before making a decision.

2. Will going to grad school guarantee me a higher salary?

While having an advanced degree can potentially lead to a higher salary, it is not a guarantee. Factors such as job market demand, industry, and location can also influence salary. Additionally, the cost of attending grad school and the potential loss of income during that time should also be considered when evaluating the financial benefits of pursuing a higher degree.

3. What are the job prospects for those with a graduate degree?

Generally, having a graduate degree can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher-paying positions. However, it is important to research the job market in your specific field and location to determine the demand for your desired degree. It is also beneficial to network and gain relevant experience during grad school to increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.

4. Can I work while attending grad school?

It is possible to work while attending grad school, but it can be challenging to balance both commitments. Many graduate programs have demanding coursework and research requirements, which may make it difficult to maintain a full-time job. Part-time work or internships may be more feasible options for those pursuing a graduate degree.

5. Is it better to go straight to grad school after obtaining a Bachelor's degree or should I gain work experience first?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and career goals. If you have a specific career path in mind that requires a graduate degree, it may be beneficial to go straight to grad school. However, gaining work experience can provide valuable skills and insights that can enhance your graduate studies and make you a more competitive job candidate in the future. It is important to carefully consider your goals and weigh the potential benefits of each option before making a decision.