Grades | Does it Matter for an Engineer Student?

In summary, grades are important for both job opportunities and graduate school, but they are not the only factor that matters. Internships and networking are also crucial for career success. However, having a low GPA can make it difficult to secure a job or get into a good graduate program. It is important to maintain a balance between good grades and extracurricular activities. While grades may not matter as much once you have some work experience, they are still a factor that employers consider when hiring. So, it is important to strive for a good GPA in order to have a successful career in the field of engineering.
ktran03
I'm an engineer student doing an undergrad, just wondering how much grades matter once I graduate. I'm not planning on grad school.

My goal right now is maintaining a 70'ish while trying to intuitively understand the material being taught, getting to know as much colleges prof's and TA's as possible, and doing plenty extra curriculars (working on this). I feel like there's only so much time each day, and if I try to get that illusive 90%+ avg, networking and extra cirric's will definitely suffer.

If my approach on the issue is incorrect, please reply and explain why you think so. Otherwise, tell me my approach is the most rewarding one, from a career standpoint.

TY

Physics news on Phys.org
ktran03 said:
If my approach on the issue is incorrect, please reply and explain why you think so.
a) If you're going the career route, you want internships. Most of them have minimum gpa requirements in the 3-3.2 range (B-B+/80-85)
b) lots of human resource departments ('specially at bigger companies) use gpa as a way to filter out candidates
c) extra-curriculars don't really matter, as companies only care about how good of an employee you'll be, so the extra-curriculars should be cut if you can only get a C average.
d) I'm not sure how you can impress professors well enough that they'd make good contacts if you're only scraping a C. The professors I know who've tried to hook students up with jobs only did so for guys who really impressed them.

Grades matter less for jobs then for grad schools, as you'll probably still find a position somewhere, maybe, with your grades. But they do matter somewhat, and you may want to go back to school later for a masters or what not for promotion reasons.

Grades matter for your first job out of school... once you have a little experience, no one cares about your grades at all.

But unless your extracurricular activities have something to do with research or useful on-the-job skills, I'd spend more time pulling your grades up a notch though.

From my experience as an engineer who is about to graduate, extra curricular means nothing unless you are talking about research experience. You have to have over a 3.0 to be competitive. I did'nt think I would want to go to grad school when I started either but I do and no I wish I had a 3.5 or better. For industry though as was previously mentioned, I think employer want a employ who does more than try to get by which is what a C/C+ is.

You abilities and understanding of the concepts of your field are more important once you are employed, but when HR is culling candidates and deciding who will get interviewed, mediocre grades won't let you get your foot in the door. You might make a great engineer, but you'll never know if you're spending the next 5 years in unrelated jobs trying to support yourself. Complete your course requirements with as few extra electives and extracurricular activities as practical so that you can build a decent GPA. Some students struggle for a semester or two, but if your transcript shows that you turned things around and kept posting good grades, you'll be OK.

Related to Grades | Does it Matter for an Engineer Student?

1. What role do grades play in the success of an engineering student?

Grades play a significant role in the success of an engineering student. Good grades demonstrate a strong understanding of the material and can open up opportunities for internships, scholarships, and job offers. Additionally, engineering is a competitive field, and grades can be used as a measure of a student's knowledge and skills.

2. Do employers care about grades when hiring an engineer?

Yes, employers often consider grades when hiring engineers. While they also look at other factors such as experience and skills, good grades can demonstrate a strong work ethic and a dedication to learning. However, grades are not the only factor considered, and a well-rounded resume and interview performance can also make a difference.

3. Are grades more important than hands-on experience for an engineering student?

Both grades and hands-on experience are important for an engineering student. Good grades show a strong theoretical understanding of the subject matter, while hands-on experience allows students to apply their knowledge and skills in a practical setting. Employers often look for a combination of both when hiring engineers.

4. Can a student with lower grades still be successful as an engineer?

Yes, a student with lower grades can still be successful as an engineer. While good grades can open up opportunities, they do not guarantee success. Students with lower grades can still excel in their field by focusing on hands-on experience, networking, and continuously improving their skills. Additionally, some employers may place more emphasis on experience and skills rather than grades.

5. Should engineering students prioritize grades over extracurricular activities?

It is essential for engineering students to find a balance between grades and extracurricular activities. Good grades are important for academic success, but extracurricular activities can also provide valuable experiences and skills, such as leadership, teamwork, and time management. It is up to the individual to prioritize and manage their time effectively to excel in both areas.