Graph theory proof (Unlabeled trees)

In summary, by considering how the symmetric group Sn acts on labelled trees and using the fact that |Sn| = n!, it can be shown that the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices is less than the number of labelled trees on n vertices. This can be expressed as n^n-2/n! < T(n), where T(n) represents the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices. Additionally, it is possible to find an upper bound for the number of labelled trees by considering all possible labellings of every unlabelled tree.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

A. Show that n^n−2/n! < T(n) by looking at how the symmetric group Sn acts on labelled trees. Use |Sn| = n!
T(n) is the number of unlabeled trees on n vertices

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any mathematical relation between labelled trees and unlabeled trees. I drew the non isomorphic graphs on different number of vertices. For example on 5 vertices, there are 3 non isomorphic classes. I counted the number of different trees on each class by hand. I just could notice that I always use the n!. For example the simplest class of a tree on 5 vertices is a straight line with 5 nodes. To count the number of trees you do 5!/2 because of the symmetry of this class. In this case n=5, so my point is that you always use n!.
n^(n-2)=n!/k+n!/y+... n!/z

The number of terms depends on the number of vertices, but I don't know how.

I thought that I could do something like this (n!/k+n!/y+...n!/z)/n!= 1/k+1/y+1/z and find something meaningful in the constants but turns out I couldn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:
I can't find any mathematical relation between labelled trees and unlabeled trees.
Not even an inequality?
If you take an unlabelled tree and label it, what is the greatest number of distinct labelled trees you might produced?

haruspex said:
Not even an inequality?
If you take an unlabelled tree and label it, what is the greatest number of distinct labelled trees you might produced?
I found the different unlabeled trees. As I was saying, there are 3 classes of unlabeled trees on 5 vertices. In the first class, a straight line, we can't use the n! because this generates duplicates. I know that the greatest number of labeled trees on n vertices y n^(n-2), but counting the number of labelled trees from a unlabeled tree is a tough task.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Tree.html

My point can be explained better with this picture. Each class on different n vertices is drawn and I am attempting to count each one of them by hand and find some meaningful relation.

TheMathNoob said:
counting the number of labelled trees from a unlabeled tree is a tough task.
Yes, but I'm not asking for the precise number, just an upper bound. How many ways could you assign the labels? Could there be some you've missed?

haruspex said:
Yes, but I'm not asking for the precise number, just an upper bound. How many ways could you assign the labels? Could there be some you've missed?
n vertices would be n!

TheMathNoob said:
n vertices would be n!
Right. Could there be any labelled trees missed by this procedure (generating n! labellings from each unlabelled tree)?

haruspex said:
Right. Could there be any labelled trees missed by this procedure (generating n! labellings from each unlabelled tree)?
no intuitively n!>n^(n-2), the last thing I said is wrong, the answer is no. If we apply n! on each unlabeled tree, we miss nothing.

TheMathNoob said:
intuitively n!>n^(n-2)
Eh? Not true.
TheMathNoob said:
If we apply n! on each unlabeled tree, we miss nothing.
Right. So what inequality can you write relating the number labelled trees on n vertices to the number of unlabelled trees on n vertices?

haruspex said:
Eh? Not true.

Right. So what inequality can you write relating the number labelled trees on n vertices to the number of unlabelled trees on n vertices?
n!>unlabeled trees?? I don't know. I need more clues.

TheMathNoob said:
n!>unlabeled trees?? I don't know. I need more clues.
Applying all n! possible labellings to every possible unlabelled tree we found every possible labelled tree (though perhaps with repeats). What relationship does that yield between the total number of unlabelled trees and the total number of labelled trees?

haruspex said:
Applying all n! possible labellings to every possible unlabelled tree we found every possible labelled tree (though perhaps with repeats). What relationship does that yield between the total number of unlabelled trees and the total number of labelled trees?
if we sum all the n!, we would get something like kn!>n^(n-2) where k is the possible number of unlabeled trees ohhhhhh xd k>n^(n-2)/n!. right?

TheMathNoob said:
if we sum all the n!, we would get something like kn!>n^(n-2) where k is the possible number of unlabeled trees ohhhhhh xd k>n^(n-2)/n!. right?
Bingo.

haruspex said:
Bingo.
thank you so much sir! really thank you.

1. What is the purpose of using graph theory to prove properties of unlabeled trees?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with studying and analyzing relationships between objects, represented by vertices and edges. Unlabeled trees are a specific type of graph that do not have any labeled nodes, making them useful for understanding general properties and patterns. By using graph theory, we can prove and explain various properties of unlabeled trees, such as their structure, connectivity, and complexity.

2. How do we define an unlabeled tree in graph theory?

An unlabeled tree is a type of graph that consists of a set of vertices (nodes) connected by edges (lines), where there are no labels or numbers assigned to the vertices. This means that all vertices are considered to be the same and there is no specific hierarchy or order among them. In other words, an unlabeled tree is a simple, connected, and undirected graph with no cycles.

3. What are some common properties of unlabeled trees that can be proven using graph theory?

There are several properties of unlabeled trees that can be proven using graph theory, such as the number of vertices and edges, the maximum and minimum degree of a vertex, the number of possible paths between two vertices, and the number of possible spanning trees. Additionally, graph theory can be used to prove properties related to the diameter, radius, and center of a given unlabeled tree.

4. How do we use graph theory to prove the properties of unlabeled trees?

To prove properties of unlabeled trees using graph theory, we first need to understand the basic concepts and definitions of graph theory, such as vertices, edges, paths, cycles, and connectivity. Then, we can apply various theorems and algorithms, such as the degree sum formula, handshaking lemma, and Prüfer sequence, to analyze and prove specific properties. Additionally, computer simulations and visualizations can also aid in understanding and proving properties of unlabeled trees.

5. What are some real-world applications of graph theory proofs for unlabeled trees?

Graph theory and its applications, including proofs for unlabeled trees, have a wide range of real-world applications. For example, they are used in computer science for data structures and algorithms, in social networks for understanding connections and relationships between people, in transportation networks for optimizing routes and minimizing costs, and in biology for studying the structure of protein networks. Additionally, graph theory proofs for unlabeled trees can also be applied in fields such as chemistry, physics, and economics.