Graphical Problem with 1st and 2nd Derivaties

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the highest and lowest values of a function and its second derivative based on the given graph of the first derivative. It is determined that the function is increasing over the entire range and the lowest value is at x=-5 while the highest value is at x=5. As for the second derivative, it is suggested that the maximum value is at x=-5 and the minimum value is at x=1 based on the given graph.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a problem, in which the graph of the first derivative is given (forgive me for the x-axis scale, my drawing skills are not too good).

View attachment 6379

I need to tell, which of the points (on the x-axis) of the function itself, has the highest and lowest values, and which of the points of the second derivative function, has the highest and lowers values.

I know that when the first derivative is positive, the function f is increasing, and when it is negative, it is decreasing.

The derivative f'(x) is positive for every x in the graph, this means that f is increasing and therefore f(-5) is the lowest and f(5) is the highest.

I don't know how to solve the second derivative.

Can you please assist ?

Thank you !

Attachments

• derivative.JPG
    derivative.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it correct to say that the max of f''(x) is at x=5 and the min of f''(x) is at x=0 ?

Yankel said:
Is it correct to say that the max of f''(x) is at x=5 and the min of f''(x) is at x=0 ?

I would say, going by the graph, that:

\(\displaystyle f''_{\max}=f''(-5)\)

As that's where the slope of $f'$ seems to be the greatest. For $f''_{\min}$, you have to pick from the given choices, and I would choose $f''(1)$ as that's the only point given where the slope of $f'$ is negative.

For the first question, since $f'>0$ over the entire range then $f$ is increasing over that domain, so:

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}=f(-5)\)

\(\displaystyle f_{\max}=f(5)\)

Thank you.

1. What is a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives?

A graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives refers to a situation where the graph of a function or equation does not have a smooth, continuous curve. This can occur when there are sharp corners, discontinuities, or undefined points on the graph.

2. How do you identify a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives?

You can identify a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives by looking at the graph and checking for any sharp corners, jumps, or breaks in the curve. These points indicate that the function is not differentiable at that point, meaning that the derivative does not exist.

3. What causes a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives?

A graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives can be caused by several factors, including discontinuities in the function, points where the function is not differentiable, or points where the derivative is undefined. These issues can arise from the nature of the function itself or from errors in calculation or graphing.

4. How can a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives be resolved?

In order to resolve a graphical problem with 1st and 2nd derivatives, you may need to take a closer look at the function and its behavior. This could involve finding the points of discontinuity or non-differentiability and making appropriate adjustments to the function or its graph. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use more advanced mathematical techniques to analyze the function.

5. What role do 1st and 2nd derivatives play in graphical problems?

The 1st and 2nd derivatives of a function are important in understanding graphical problems because they describe the rate of change and curvature of the function at various points. In a graphical problem, these derivatives can help identify where the function is not smooth or continuous, and can also provide insight into the behavior of the function near those points.