Graphing Unknown Functions

In summary, the homework problem involves drawing four graphs on the same coordinate plane with different line styles to distinguish them. The functions are y1 = x^1/4f(x), y2 = x^1/2f(x), y3 = x^2f(x), and y4 = x^4f(x). The task is to identify y1 and y3 among the graphs. From the given information, it can be deduced that the graphs remain in the same order when multiplied by a positive constant, and using this, it can be determined that the solid line corresponds to y1 and the triangle line corresponds to y3.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

Jane's calculus instructor asked her to draw the graphs of the functions y1 = x1/4f(x), y2 = x1/2f(x), y3 = x2f(x), and y4 = x4f(x) on the same coordinate plane using the same axes but different line-style for each graph to distinguish among them. Although he didn't specify f, identify y1 and y3 among the graphs Jane drew. I have attached the picture for this problem.
janemath.jpg

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this problem, but I know that functions which are squared are generally shaped like upright or upsidedown U's, while functions that are raised to fractions like square roots or fourth roots are usually sideways U-shaped. However, they aren't asking about those specific functions but about those functions multiplied by another function. How do I know what the graph of an unknown function will look like when it's multiplied by a known function?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:

Homework Statement

Jane's calculus instructor asked her to draw the graphs of the functions y1 = x1/4f(x), y2 = x1/2f(x), y3 = x2f(x), and y4 = x4f(x) on the same coordinate plane using the same axes but different line-style for each graph to distinguish among them. Although he didn't specify f, identify y1 and y3 among the graphs Jane drew. I have attached the picture for this problem.
View attachment 70032

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this problem, but I know that functions which are squared are generally shaped like upright or upsidedown U's, while functions that are raised to fractions like square roots or fourth roots are usually sideways U-shaped. However, they aren't asking about those specific functions but about those functions multiplied by another function. How do I know what the graph of an unknown function will look like when it's multiplied by a known function?
Thanks!

Hint: It's clear from the graph that [itex]f(x) > 0[/itex] for [itex]x > 0[/itex], so multiplying by [itex]f(x)[/itex] preserves order.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry, but I'm not completely sure what you mean by "preserves order" or how that relates to the graphs. To me, all of the graphs look the same except for the one with large squares because that one is concave up. The rest of the functions are all concave down but they have different maximums. Do you mean that the graphs should still look similar to x1/4 and x2? If that's the case, then the only graph that looks like x2 to me is the one with large squares since it's concave up, but then there's no graph for x4, which would also be concave up. I guess you aren't referring to concavity then. I know that the order of a function is related to how many zeros are on its graph, but each of these graphs only has one visible zero and its the same for all of the functions, so I think I'm pretty confused... How is the order of a function related to its graph?

Gwozdzilla said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not completely sure what you mean by "preserves order"

A basic axiom of the real numbers is that for all real x and y and all strictly positive c, if [itex]x \leq y[/itex] then [itex]cx \leq cy[/itex]. In other words, multiplication by a strictly positive constant preserves order. Thus, if [itex]x^a < x^b[/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex] then, since [itex]f(x) > 0[/itex], it must follow that [itex]x^af(x) < x^b f(x)[/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex].

This is all the information you need to work out which graph is which.

Likes 1 person
Oh, I understand now. So the graphs remain in the same order as if they were multiplied by a positive constant, so the top solid line is y1, the next one is y2, then y3, and y4, because that's the order of the functions when a small fraction is put in for x. Therefore, the answer to the actual question is #4, the solid line for y1 and the triangles for y3. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Gwozdzilla said:
Oh, I understand now. So the graphs remain in the same order as if they were multiplied by a positive constant, so the top solid line is y1, the next one is y2, then y3, and y4, because that's the order of the functions when a small fraction is put in for x. Therefore, the answer to the actual question is #4, the solid line for y1 and the triangles for y3. Is that correct?

Thanks!

That's Correct !

Likes 1 person

1. What is graphing unknown functions?

Graphing unknown functions is the process of creating a visual representation of a mathematical function whose specific equation or formula is not known. It involves plotting points on a coordinate plane to show the relationship between the input and output of the function.

2. Why is graphing unknown functions important?

Graphing unknown functions is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of a function even when we do not know its exact equation. This can be useful in making predictions, identifying patterns, and solving real-world problems.

3. How do you graph an unknown function?

To graph an unknown function, you can plug in different values for the input variable and calculate the corresponding output values. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth line or curve. This will give you an approximation of the unknown function's graph.

4. Can you graph any unknown function?

In theory, yes, any unknown function can be graphed by following the same process of plugging in input values and plotting points. However, for more complex functions, it may be difficult to accurately plot enough points to get a clear understanding of the graph.

5. How can graphing unknown functions help in scientific research?

Graphing unknown functions can be beneficial in scientific research because it allows for the analysis and interpretation of data without knowing the exact function that describes the relationship between variables. This can lead to new discoveries and help scientists make predictions about the behavior of natural phenomena.