Graphs to find minimum days for meetings

In summary, the problem involves nine students serving on eight committees, with each committee needing to meet on a different day and no two committees sharing a member can meet on the same day. By representing the committees as vertices on a graph and coloring the graph with four different colors, it is determined that the minimum number of days needed for the meetings to take place is four, as proven by the Appel-Haken Theorem.
whiteman

Homework Statement

Nine students A, B,..., I serve as members on eight committees, as follows.

Committee 1: A, B, C, D
Committee 2: A, C, D, E
Committee 3: B, D, F, G
Committee 4: C, F, G, H
Committee 5: A, H
Committee 6: H, I
Committee 7: G, H
Committee 8: E, I

Each committee is to meet for a day. No two committees with a member in common can meet on the same day. Use a colouring of a suitable graph to find the least number of days in which the meetings can take place.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Let 1,2...,8 be vertices on a graph and let an edge be between two vertices if those committees share a student. If an edge exists between two vertices, then those vertices must be coloured differently

I've drawn out the graph properly, and is 4 (the number of colours used to colour the graph) the minimum no of days needed for the committees to meet? I know that 4 can be used by the Appel-Haken Theorem. i can't see a way to colour the graph with only 3 colours.
Graph1.jpg
EDIT: just realized that 2 and 5 should be connected on the graph but it doesn't make any difference to the colouring.

thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have a clique (all nodes are connected to each other): [tex]\{1, 2, 3, 4\}[/tex] so you need at least 4 colors, with 3 colors you can not even color your clique.

Related to Graphs to find minimum days for meetings

1. How do graphs help in finding the minimum number of days for meetings?

Graphs help in visualizing data and identifying trends or patterns. By plotting the number of attendees against different days, we can see which day has the most availability and hence, can be chosen as the minimum number of days for meetings.

2. What is the significance of finding the minimum days for meetings?

Finding the minimum days for meetings is important as it helps in efficient time management. By selecting the minimum number of days, we can avoid unnecessary delays and maximize productivity.

3. How do we determine the minimum days for meetings from a graph?

We can determine the minimum days for meetings by looking at the point where the graph levels off or plateaus. This indicates that the number of attendees has reached a stable point and adding more days would not significantly increase the number of attendees.

4. Are there any other factors to consider besides the number of attendees when choosing the minimum days for meetings?

Yes, besides the number of attendees, other factors such as availability of meeting rooms, travel time for attendees, and important deadlines should also be taken into account when choosing the minimum days for meetings.

5. Can graphs be used for any type of meetings or only specific ones?

Graphs can be used for any type of meetings as long as there is data available on the number of attendees and their availability. However, the effectiveness of using graphs may vary depending on the type of meeting and its purpose.