Ground currents to detect a civilization?

In summary, ground currents could be used to detect whether or not there is an active, subterranean civilization, but this would depend on several factors.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In a scenario where explorers are trying to detect an active, perhaps subterranean, civilization, is it plausible that they would use equipment that measures ground currents (i.e. actual electrical currents in the terrain)?

With technology that exists today, would we expect to detect a difference in ground currents "out in the middle of nowhere" versus near a town?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
In a scenario where explorers are trying to detect an active, perhaps subterranean, civilization, is it plausible that they would use equipment that measures ground currents (i.e. actual electrical currents in the terrain)?

With technology that exists today, would we expect to detect a difference in ground currents "out in the middle of nowhere" versus near a town?
I can't think of a reason why - what is your reasoning for thinking this should be a thing?

That depends on several factors
If you are asking if there is such a thing as "detecting ground currents" the answer is yes. Surveys to measure these are routinely done before e.g. labs that are meant to house sensitive equipment are built.

However, this is (obviously) only possible (and a potential problem) because we sometimes use ground/earth as a return "conductor". If you use two conductors for you signal there won't be any currently flowing through ground (unless something goes wrong)
A good example from the UK would be return currents from the railroad; these can be a problem even quite some distance from the tracks. Where I work this is somewhat of a problem even though we are approximately about 1000m or so from the tracks; it just so happens that the ground conditions are such that some of the current flows back to its source via the ground underneath the lab.

Likes Nik_2213 and Stephen Tashi
How does "subterranean civilization" operate without active entrances to ground?
An obvious example of where you do detect the civilization, but not where it is, is mapping a mine. You can observe the mine entrance on ground, but for whatever reasons you cannot walk in and ask the miners for a map. You do not know in which directions from entrance the mine passages go.
From the ground above, what can you do to map mine passages beneath you? To find out which mine passages are deserted and disused, which in active use?

Perhaps karst landscape ?? IIRC, the Postogna (sp) and neighbouring cave mega-systems in former Yugoslavia were significantly deepened by the Med's dramatic draw-down during Messinian Event. Just as several rivers running into Med have very deep 'buried valleys' and offshore canyons, the karst water table was affected by the several stages of lowered sea level.

In my 'Chaparral' tale in fiction section, settlers decide to 'dig in' and ride out the decades of dismay from a too-near repeating nova. But, they're in 'Tepuis' with evident signs of mine-heads and adits, spoil dumps etc.

If they were under a vast, carbonate plain, they'd be much harder to find. Especially if not spewing neutrinos etc from eg fusors...

Geo-phys stuff used to map ore bodies, magma chambers etc gets you so far, as do geo-phones and small explosions. I think you'd end up using lots of small robots to swarm-map the maze, relaying data back to surface...

A possible scenario is society / tech implodes, regresses to sorta Neolithic. D&D 'glow-moss' along some routes, a few precious oil / wax lamps, but generations have adapted to darkness, mostly navigating with sonar by click-talking. Diet would be cultivated fungus, blind fish, 'land prawns' (roaches) and, perhaps, sap tapped from super-deep roots of ancient surface / sink-hole trees...

What is the concept of ground currents to detect a civilization?

The concept of ground currents to detect a civilization is based on the idea that advanced civilizations may generate electromagnetic signals that can be detected through the Earth's surface. These signals are known as ground currents and can be measured using specialized equipment.

How do ground currents differ from other forms of electromagnetic signals?

Ground currents are unique in that they are generated by the movement of charged particles through the Earth's surface, rather than through the air like most other electromagnetic signals. This makes them less susceptible to interference from the atmosphere and allows them to travel long distances without significant loss of strength.

What kind of technology is used to detect ground currents?

Ground currents can be detected using a variety of technologies, including magnetometers, ground penetrating radar, and electromagnetic induction devices. These tools are typically used in combination to accurately measure and analyze the strength and direction of ground currents.

What kind of information can be gathered from ground current measurements?

By measuring ground currents, scientists can gather information about the strength, direction, and frequency of electromagnetic signals being generated by a civilization. This can provide insights into the technology and energy sources being used, as well as the size and location of the civilization.

Are there any limitations to using ground currents to detect a civilization?

While ground currents can be a useful tool for detecting civilizations, there are some limitations to this method. The strength of ground currents decreases with distance, so they may only be detectable within a certain range. Additionally, other natural sources of ground currents, such as lightning, can interfere with measurements and make it more difficult to identify signals from a civilization.