Guides for bolt diameter and length against plate thickness?

In summary, the British/EU Standard for bolted connections in structural design recommends using the same bolt diameter as the plate thickness.
Raf76
Hi,
I tried to find design regulations/codes that specify relations between bolt diameter/bolt length against connected plate thicknesses. I couldn't find that in Eurocodes 3. Can someone help me with info where to find those regulations ?

Example: can we connect 5 mm plates using M24 ? or vise versa, i.e. connect 32 mm plates with M8 ?
what about bolt length ?,
is there any helpful regulations to go through ?
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Raf76, Welcome to PF.

You can connect any plates with any size bolts, because you did not specify a load that tries to push, split or tear the two plates apart.
As far as I know there are no regulations on sizes, but on the loads that need to be supported by said plates and bolts.
A diagram of your intended setup and some sizes could be useful.

Likes Raf76
Raf76 said:
Hi,
I tried to find design regulations/codes that specify relations between bolt diameter/bolt length against connected plate thicknesses. I couldn't find that in Eurocodes 3. Can someone help me with info where to find those regulations ?

Example: can we connect 5 mm plates using M24 ? or vise versa, i.e. connect 32 mm plates with M8 ?
what about bolt length ?,
is there any helpful regulations to go through ?
Thanks in advance.
Hello, Raf. There is a British/EU Standard for bolted connections in structural design which might be useful:
http://www.steelconstruction.info/The_Green_Books

Likes Raf76
Lok,
Thank you for your reply.
I have reached the same answer you proposed after many hours of searching. But one of my friends has advised as a rule of thumb, he said, to use the same plate thickness as bolt diameter or something nearby. As example to connect 12 mm plates with M12. It could be logical!.
By precise case is that I wanted to connect two steel beams together using bolts. Big beam which is a part of platform HEB700 with flange thickness of 32 mm and the small beam is HEB140 with flange thickness of 12 mm. This small one is a cantilever (i.e. connected only to HEB700) and carrying some 0.5 KN on three directions at the free end of it.
The question here was the choice of the bolt diameter. Regards.

Thanks tech99

Raf76 said:
Lok,
Thank you for your reply.
I have reached the same answer you proposed after many hours of searching. But one of my friends has advised as a rule of thumb, he said, to use the same plate thickness as bolt diameter or something nearby. As example to connect 12 mm plates with M12. It could be logical!.
By precise case is that I wanted to connect two steel beams together using bolts. Big beam which is a part of platform HEB700 with flange thickness of 32 mm and the small beam is HEB140 with flange thickness of 12 mm. This small one is a cantilever (i.e. connected only to HEB700) and carrying some 0.5 KN on three directions at the free end of it.
The question here was the choice of the bolt diameter. Regards.
In this case there are regulations. Mostly there is a maximal accepted hole that you can drill in the HEB140 before it loses it's structural properties. Why not make that your bolt diameter? As the biggest is clearly the best.
The Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook (aka "the BIBLE" for all but the meaning of life) tells us of a maximal hole diameter of 21mm (For an IPB140 as designated in the "DIN 1025-2 (1995-11)". So a M20 sounds nice. And the other HEB 700 will not care.

Likes Raf76
Lok said:
In this case there are regulations. Mostly there is a maximal accepted hole that you can drill in the HEB140 before it loses it's structural properties. Why not make that your bolt diameter? As the biggest is clearly the best.
The Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook (aka "the BIBLE" for all but the meaning of life) tells us of a maximal hole diameter of 21mm (For an IPB140 as designated in the "DIN 1025-2 (1995-11)". So a M20 sounds nice. And the other HEB 700 will not care.
Thanks for your reply.
I have checked and will use your advice. :)
Kind regards.

1. What is the purpose of a bolt diameter and length guide for plate thickness?

The guide helps determine the appropriate size and length of bolts needed to securely fasten plates of different thicknesses together.

2. How do I use a bolt diameter and length guide for plate thickness?

First, measure the thickness of the plate. Then, use the guide to find the recommended bolt diameter and length for that specific plate thickness.

3. Can I use any bolt size for any plate thickness?

No, it is important to use the recommended bolt size and length for the specific plate thickness to ensure the bolts can withstand the load and provide a secure connection.

4. Are there different guidelines for different types of materials?

Yes, the guidelines may vary depending on the type of material being used for the plates. It is important to consult the appropriate guide for the specific material being used.

5. What are the consequences of using the wrong bolt size or length for a plate?

Using the wrong bolt size or length can result in a weak or insecure connection between the plates, which can lead to structural failure or damage.