Guys i in some chemistry mole exercises please

In summary: I don't understand" doesn't help us help you.In summary, the first problem involves burning Mg in air to produce a mixture of MgO and Mg3N2. Based on the given information, the percentage by mass of each compound in the mixture can be calculated by setting up an equation using the mass of Mg and the relevant molar masses of MgO and Mg3N2.The second problem is about determining the basicity of an acid with the formula H3NSO3. The solution is prepared by dissolving 9.7g in water and titrating it against 0.500M potassium hydroxide. From the given information, the number of moles of the base and the acid can be
Giuseppe96
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template and showing your work.
1)When Mg is burned in air,a mixture of MgO and Mg3N2 is produced.If 3,6g of Mg produces 5,7g of
mixture,what is the percentage by mass of each compound in the mixture?
2)A solution of an acid having the formula H3NSO3 is prepared by dissolving 9,7g in water and making up the solution to 250ml.On titrating this solution against 0.500M potassium hydroxide,is found that 20ml alkali,requires 25ml aid for neutralisation.Determine the basicity of the acid.
I really can't understand what do i have to do in those problems of moles.Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Giuseppe, :welcome:

Here at PF we try to help folks help themselves. That's why the homework fora have a template:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fill in especially 2 and 3 -- it's required (see guidelines)

Likes Giuseppe96
BvU said:
Hi Giuseppe, :welcome:

Here at PF we try to help folks help themselves. That's why the homework fora have a template:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fill in especially 2 and 3 -- it's required (see guidelines)
well thank you for the answer.Regarding the first one i wrote the formula as:5Mg+O2+2N2=2MgO+Mg3N2 and if 3,6g is Mg and 5,7 is MgO+Mg3N2 i did 5,7-3,6=2,1 to find out the mass of O2+N2(maybe)...but i don t know hwo to find the masses separately.
Regarding the second one,i can't understad the part of alkali where there are the numbers 20 and 25 ml,and i can't find out the chemical reaction neither...if only i understand these i will maybe be able to solve it alone.Thank you again for your answer,hope you will reply me.

1. Assume you have x grams of MgO and y grams of Mg3N2. Can you express the mass of the mixture in terms of x, y? Can you express mass of Mg present in both substances in terms of x, y and relevant molar masses?

2. You can't start with the reaction equation, as it is exactly what you are asked to find. However, you can easily calculate number of moles of the base used and number of moles of the acid present. What does the ratio of the two tell?

Likes Giuseppe96
Borek said:
1. Assume you have x grams of MgO and y grams of Mg3N2. Can you express the mass of the mixture in terms of x, y? Can you express mass of Mg present in both substances in terms of x, y and relevant molar masses?

2. You can't start with the reaction equation, as it is exactly what you are asked to find. However, you can easily calculate number of moles of the base used and number of moles of the acid present. What does the ratio of the two tell?
Thanks for the answer,can the ratio of the second one be H3NSO3:KOH=2:1?that's what I've found out...by the way i can t still understand the first one :)

Giuseppe96 said:
Thanks for the answer,can the ratio of the second one be H3NSO3:KOH=2:1?

Show how, that's not what I got.

by the way i can t still understand the first one :)

Show what you did.

In general: "show what you did" is a key to the help at PF.

1. What is a mole in chemistry?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance. One mole is equal to 6.022 x 10^23 particles of that substance (Avogadro's number).

2. How do I convert between moles and grams?

To convert from moles to grams, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of the substance. To convert from grams to moles, divide the number of grams by the molar mass. The molar mass can be found by adding up the atomic masses of each element in the molecule.

3. How do I use moles in stoichiometry?

In stoichiometry, moles are used to calculate the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. By using the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation, you can determine the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.

4. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution in terms of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality, on the other hand, is a measure of the concentration in terms of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. Molarity is affected by temperature changes, while molality is not.

5. How do I calculate the percent composition of a compound?

The percent composition of a compound can be calculated by dividing the mass of each element in the compound by the total mass of the compound and multiplying by 100%. This will give you the percentage of each element in the compound by mass.