Guys is any one know about the formation of Acetylsalicylic Acid

In summary, the conversation is about synthesizing Acetylsalicylic Acid from Acetic Anhydride and Salicylic Acid in a lab course. The process involves multiple steps and includes heating, crystallization, and filtration. There is a question about the reactions that take place during the experiment and the participants must provide step-by-step chemical equations. The first step involves acid catalysis and it is unclear if the phenol or the anhydride reacts first. One participant suggests extracting the acid by distilling powdered coal.
heres41
hi there.. is there anyone know how to synthesis an Acetylsalicylic Acid from Acetic Anhydride and Salicylic Acid . i just know how 1 step.. but then my proff told me there's suppose to be like 5 or six step to obtain it. i'll appreciate your response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this in a lecture course or a lab course? In real organic chemistry (lab), forming the product is often only a small part of the work involved. In many cases, it will take more effort to isolate the product than to perform the reaction.

it is in lab exercise. we reacted Acetic Anhydride and Salicylic Acid by placing the substance in a flask and it was heated. then it was crystallized to obtain ASA and further subjected to filtration. there's this question that ask the reactions that takes place during the experiment and we have to provide the step by step chem. equation for each. and we are ask to have like around 5-7 steps..
and i just have lone step for the whole thing..

It's acid catalyzed. Use that in the first step. Do you think it reacts with the phenol or the anhydride in the first step? How?

Hi I read somewhere that the Acid you refer too can be extracted by "Distilling Powdered Coal ie Coal Dust" Potassium Cyanide can be made in a similar fashion so I have read, I am afraid that's all I can tell you, hope it is of some use to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How was Acetylsalicylic Acid discovered?

Acetylsalicylic Acid, commonly known as Aspirin, was first discovered by a German chemist named Felix Hoffmann in 1897. He was working for the pharmaceutical company Bayer and was looking for a less harsh alternative to salicylic acid, which was commonly used to treat pain and inflammation but caused stomach irritation. Hoffmann successfully synthesized Acetylsalicylic Acid by combining salicylic acid and acetic anhydride.

2. What is the chemical composition of Acetylsalicylic Acid?

The chemical formula for Acetylsalicylic Acid is C9H8O4. It contains nine carbon atoms, eight hydrogen atoms, and four oxygen atoms. Its chemical structure is similar to that of salicylic acid, with the addition of an acetyl group.

3. How does Acetylsalicylic Acid work in the human body?

Acetylsalicylic Acid works as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins, which are responsible for causing pain and inflammation. It also has antipyretic (fever-reducing) and antiplatelet (blood-thinning) properties.

4. What are the common uses of Acetylsalicylic Acid?

Acetylsalicylic Acid is commonly used to relieve pain, reduce fever, and treat inflammation in conditions such as headaches, toothaches, menstrual cramps, and arthritis. It is also used as a preventative measure against heart attacks and strokes due to its blood-thinning properties.

5. Are there any side effects or precautions to consider when taking Acetylsalicylic Acid?

As with any medication, there are potential side effects and precautions to consider when taking Acetylsalicylic Acid. Common side effects may include stomach irritation, nausea, and allergic reactions. It is not recommended for individuals with bleeding disorders or those taking blood-thinning medication. It is important to always follow the recommended dosage and consult a doctor before taking Acetylsalicylic Acid, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.