Gyroscopic stabilization and the cameras used in MotoGP on-bike video feeds

In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of on-bike cameras in Sportbike/Superbike/MotoGP racing. While the old videos showed the bike's lean, newer cameras now have gyroscopic horizon correction, providing a constant horizontal background and showcasing extreme lean angles of the riders. The conversation also mentions the upcoming MotoGP season in Qatar and expresses excitement for the extreme lean angles achieved by racers.
berkeman
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
On-bike video feeds from MotoGP are enhanced by gyroscopic correction
For many years, the on-bike cameras in Sportbike/Superbike/MotoGP racing showed the leaned images tied to the bike that the cameras were mounted on. Great stuff, but the new camera video from some of the MotoGP bike camera feeds for the last few years have included gyroscopic horizon correction, so you see the lean of the rider against a constant horizontal background.

I enjoy the old videos because it's more like you are on the bike (like at my track days), but I love the appreciation of the extreme lean angles that MotoGP riders achieve that the gyro corrected images provide. Nice. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Engineering news on Phys.org
The lean angles nowadays are crazy. Back when I was riding track days, I was happy to get a knee puck down and feeling the track in some turns (better riders and racers did it routinely). But now the racers are wearing elbow pucks too, which is just nuts. Great stuff.

1616718486153.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dft8sXtUcAAbUA_.jpg

BTW, the MotoGP season kicks off this weekend in Qatar... :smile:

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
BTW, the MotoGP season kicks off this weekend in Qatar... :smile:
If you attend, we expect a full diary and video log. :doh:

Likes berkeman

1. How does gyroscopic stabilization work in MotoGP cameras?

Gyroscopic stabilization in MotoGP cameras works by using sensors and motors to counteract the vibrations and movements of the bike. The sensors detect any changes in the camera's position and the motors make small adjustments to keep the camera stable and level.

2. What are the benefits of using gyroscopic stabilization in MotoGP cameras?

The main benefit of gyroscopic stabilization in MotoGP cameras is that it produces smooth and steady footage, even when the bike is moving at high speeds or going over bumps and turns. This allows viewers to see a clear and stable view of the race.

3. How do MotoGP cameras capture footage while the bike is in motion?

MotoGP cameras are mounted on the bike using special mounts that are designed to withstand the vibrations and movements of the bike. The cameras also have high frame rates and advanced image stabilization technology, which allows them to capture clear footage even while the bike is in motion.

4. Are there any limitations to using on-bike cameras in MotoGP?

While on-bike cameras in MotoGP provide an exciting and unique perspective, there are some limitations to their use. The cameras can only capture footage from one angle and they are limited to the movements of the bike. This means that they may not capture all of the action happening on the track.

5. How has the use of on-bike cameras in MotoGP changed over the years?

In the early days of MotoGP, on-bike cameras were bulky and heavy, and they often produced shaky and poor quality footage. However, with advancements in technology, the cameras have become smaller, lighter, and more advanced, allowing for better quality footage and more creative camera angles.