Harnessing Gravitational Energy to Create a Timer Device

In summary, the device creates a sound at 5, 10, 15, and 20 seconds by swinging a heavy pendulum and striking a bell or can.
albert1992
My semester project is to create a device that will make a sound at 5,10 15, and 20 seconds exactly using only gravitational energy.
-My initial design used two rotating axles with two gears through them and a chain. It would begin by me dropping a weight attached to one of the axles making it rotate exactly five times and hitting something to make a sound. I would also use the inside mechanism of a tape measurer to somehow make the axle retract back into place at exactly five turns and make another sound and so forth... However this is a lot easier said than done.

Any suggestions to this idea would be helpful or something totally new would also be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The weight will not return to the starting point without some external energy input. (Gravity is not an energy source.) In essence, you're describing a weight-driven mechanical clock -- the weight is reset by hand.

Thats the problem I'm facing, for somehow to reset itself or wind itself up

Albert1992 said:
Thats the problem I'm facing, for somehow to reset itself or wind itself up

Welcome to Physics Forums! Perpetual Motion machines and "free energy" devices are strictly prohibited here. If what you are asking about amount to one of these, your post will be locked my our monitors.

In the meantime, if you discover how to get your machine to "wind itself up" do NOT post it here in public. Send me a private message with all the details. Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
Welcome to Physics Forums! Perpetual Motion machines and "free energy" devices are strictly prohibited here.
And incidentally, everywhere else in the universe that the laws of thermodynamics apply. :smile:

Bobbywhy said:
Send me a private message with all the details.
:bugeye:
But seriously, how many times must the bell ring? Only 5? Or does it need to ring for an arbitrarily long time? You can still use a system that winds down only once, just ensure it rings the bell as many times as necessary. Do you know how a grandfather clock works? You only have to reset its mechanism every few months.

5,10,15,and at 20 seconds so four times. If I use a system that winds down once I wouldn't really know how to make it make the sound four times, I guess that's how the grandfather clock would work

Albert1992, Thanks for the information in post #6 above. It always helps to communicate the complete "specifications" so we may better assist you with suggestions.

Consider a disc that is driven by your gravity weight so as to rotate once every 20 seconds. Insert protruding pegs at the 90, 180, 270, and 360 degree points near the circumference of the disc. These pegs ring a bell mounted near the disc as they pass by. Four complete revolutions will suffice.

Well I used a similar concept but I had trouble controlling the speed of the disc I was using. Getting the timing right was the challenge.

"Getting the timing right" was the objective of clockmakers for centuries. The "escapement" seems to have been the solution. It acts just like a speed governor.

Look at old clock chimes.
For speed control they use a paddlewheel that churns the air. It's geared to the cammed wheel that's operating the striker but turns much faster and wind resistance being ω^2 you can get substantial gain.
Interesting feedback mechanism, it's used on lawnmower governors too..

Albert1992 said:
My semester project is to create a device that will make a sound at 5,10 15, and 20 seconds exactly using only gravitational energy.
A heavy pendulum. As it swings by, a stick protruding from it delivers a glancing blow to a bell or tin can. :smile:

1. How does harnessing gravitational energy work?

Harnessing gravitational energy involves using the force of gravity to generate power. This can be done by converting the potential energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field into kinetic energy, which can then be used to power a device.

2. What kind of materials are needed to create a timer device using gravitational energy?

The materials needed for a gravitational energy timer device will depend on the specific design and mechanism used. In general, materials should be sturdy and able to withstand the force of gravity, as well as being able to efficiently convert energy from potential to kinetic.

3. Can gravitational energy be harnessed in any location?

Yes, gravitational energy can be harnessed in any location that has a gravitational field, which is essentially everywhere on Earth. However, the strength of the gravitational field may vary depending on the location and altitude.

4. How accurate is a timer device that uses gravitational energy?

The accuracy of a timer device using gravitational energy will depend on the design and construction of the device. In general, gravitational energy can be harnessed with high precision, but external factors such as air resistance may affect its accuracy.

5. How can I use a gravitational energy timer device in practical applications?

A gravitational energy timer device can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in cooking, sports, or scientific experiments. It can also be used as a backup timer in case of power outages or as a sustainable energy source in remote areas. The possibilities are endless!