Has anyone been able to install TALYS?

• Thread starter CuriousAES
  • Start date
  • Tags
    install
In summary, the individual has been struggling to install TALYS, a nuclear reaction simulator, for the past day. They have followed the instructions and attempted to run the test cases on a fresh install multiple times, but have not been successful. They are wondering if anyone else has successfully installed and run the software and if they could provide assistance. It is suggested to check for platform compatibility and make sure all necessary dependencies are installed. Additionally, reaching out to the TALYS support team for help may also be beneficial.
CuriousAES
I've been struggling for the past day to install TALYS (talys.eu) (http://www.talys.eu/fileadmin/talys/user/docs/talys1.8.pdf), a nuclear reaction simulator.

Despite attempting their instructions over a dozen times now (both through their setup script and the manual option), each time on a fresh install, the test cases you are supposed to verify never run and always ask me to fix a pathway in the fortran code to direct machines.f to the nuclear structures folder (which I have tried and have gotten nowhere).

I was wondering if anyone else had actually successfully run this software and could let me know how they did it. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04LTS right now.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure the platform is compatible. Obviously people have downloaded the system and installed it.

http://www.talys.eu/more-about-talys/platform-information-release-terms/

I haven't used it, but I have used complicated software that required bash vs tcsh, and there was a particular order in which software and utilities had to be installed. Is the compiler correct?

Maybe contact the developers regarding use of Ubuntu.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing TALYS. I haven't personally used this software, but I did some research and found a few potential solutions that might help you.

Firstly, it seems like the issue you're having might be related to the directory paths in the fortran code. Have you tried manually adjusting the paths in the code to point to the correct folders? Some users have reported that this solved their issue.

Another potential solution is to make sure that you have all the necessary dependencies installed on your system. TALYS requires several libraries and packages to run properly, so double check that you have everything you need.

If those options don't work, you could also try reaching out to the TALYS support team for assistance. They might be able to provide more specific guidance for your issue.

I hope this helps and that you're able to get TALYS up and running soon. Good luck!

1. Has anyone successfully installed TALYS before?

Yes, many researchers and scientists have successfully installed and used TALYS for their nuclear reaction and data analysis studies.

2. What are the system requirements for installing TALYS?

The system requirements for installing TALYS may vary depending on the operating system and version. Generally, TALYS requires a modern computer with a Linux or Windows operating system and a Fortran compiler.

3. Are there any installation guides or tutorials available for TALYS?

Yes, TALYS provides detailed installation instructions and tutorials on their official website. These resources can help guide users through the installation process and provide troubleshooting tips.

4. Is TALYS free to download and install?

No, TALYS is a licensed software and requires a purchase or subscription to access and use. However, some universities and research institutions may have a license for their students and researchers.

5. Can I customize the installation of TALYS for my specific needs?

Yes, TALYS allows users to customize the installation process by selecting the desired modules and libraries. This can help optimize the software for specific research needs and reduce unnecessary installation space.