Has anyone seen this logarithmic spiral creation before?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical result involving a curve generated by a series of unitary line segments with a deviation angle given by the harmonic series. This curve approximates a logarithmic spiral and has applications in physics. The deflection angle can be given by any scalar multiple of the harmonic series and the curve will still approximate a spiral. Furthermore, this spiral has been seen as a solution to a problem involving mice moving on a regular polygon. In the limit of an infinite number of mice, the shape of the polygon is preserved and the mice run in a circle. The conversation also mentions a moderator's note with an image for reference.
dave202
<Moderator's note: Image added because otherwise the thread might once become unreadable.>

I have reason to believe this could have applications in physics, but right now it's just a mathematical result I came across recently. Either way, I think it is very interesting and fun to look at.

This is my best attempt at explaining it in words:

The curve generated by a series of unitary line segments placed end to end with a deviation angle given by the harmonic series, γn=2π/n, approximates a logarithmic spiral given by the polar equation r=eθ/2π. This “angular harmonic” series (γn=2π/n) is the series of external angles of all regular polygons, where n is the number of sides.

More generally, the deflection angle can be given by any scalar multiple of the harmonic series, i.e. γn=x/n, for any real (or imaginary?) number x. In this general case, the curve approximates a spiral given by the equation r=eθ/x.

Figures:
https://imgur.com/a/ZBAF2

FvNYVkJ.png

Attachments

• FvNYVkJ.png
    FvNYVkJ.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 630
Likes Janosh89
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have seen this spiral as a solution to the following problem.
Imagine N mice on the vertices of a regular N-gon of side ##a##. Each mouse moves straight towards the mouse in front of it at constant speed v. Eventually the mice converge to a point (they are point mice). Find the distance covered by one mouse from start to finish.

If you draw the path of all the mice, you get N spirals of the kind you show. You can also show that in the limit N → ∞, the mice run around in a circle as expected. The secret to solving this problem is to notice that, by symmetry, the shape of the N-gon is preserved which means that the radial velocity of the mice is constant and vr = v*cosθN, where θN is the angle between side ##a## and the radius. You can fill in the rest of the details if you are interested.

1. What is a logarithmic spiral?

A logarithmic spiral is a type of spiral curve that appears in many natural and man-made objects, such as seashells, hurricanes, and galaxies. It is defined by a mathematical equation involving a logarithm, which gives the spiral its unique shape.

2. How is a logarithmic spiral created?

A logarithmic spiral is created by taking a line and continuously rotating it around a fixed point at a constant angle while simultaneously increasing its length by a constant factor. This creates the characteristic spiral shape that appears in many objects in nature.

3. Has anyone seen this logarithmic spiral creation before?

Yes, logarithmic spirals have been observed and studied by scientists for centuries. They were first described by the Greek mathematician Archimedes in the 3rd century BC, and have since been observed in many natural and man-made structures.

4. What are some examples of logarithmic spirals in nature?

Some common examples of logarithmic spirals in nature include the shape of a snail's shell, the arms of a spiral galaxy, and the patterns of hurricanes. They can also be seen in the growth patterns of certain plants and animals, such as sunflowers and nautilus shells.

5. What is the significance of logarithmic spirals in science?

Logarithmic spirals have a wide range of applications in science and mathematics. They can be used to model natural phenomena, such as the growth of populations or the shape of coastlines. They also have practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of spiral staircases and springs.