Have i got this correct about electrical generators?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of how generators work, specifically in the context of alternative energy sources. It is explained that in a solar powered generator, solar energy is first transferred into heat energy and then used to boil water, creating steam. The steam then turns a turbine which generates electricity. The use of photovoltaic cells to directly convert solar energy into electricity is also mentioned. Other alternative energy sources, such as hydroelectric power and photosynthesis, are also briefly mentioned.
mrplattypus
ok so i am trying to come up with an alternative energy source but first i have to know how generators work.
so in a solar powered generator. the solar energy gets transferred into heat energy and then the heat energy boils water which creates steam. the steam then turns a turbine and then the turbine turns the generator which creates the electricity.
is this right or am i completely wrong. please answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is essentially how it would work.

Alternatively the photovoltaic cell is another way to harness solar energy whereby that solar energy is converted into electrical energy due to the release of electrons.

Fossil Fuel generators and Nuclear generators generally work by making steam which turns a turbine.

But often for renweable sources, there is a more direct way of using the energy. For example, hydroelectric power has water flowing downhill that turns the tubrines.

In the case of solar power, usually PV cells or similar collect the energy (so turbines are not necessary). There are some systems which use focussing mirrors to heat up a substance and this generates the electricity. Look it up on wikipedia, I'm sure they'll have more detail.

thanks guys

burning wood is also an "alternative" energy source, as is wind, water temperature differences, and waves...Photosynthesis is also one.

1. What is an electrical generator?

An electrical generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by rotating a coil of wire inside a magnetic field, which induces a current in the wire and produces electricity.

2. How does an electrical generator work?

An electrical generator works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the coil of wire rotates in a magnetic field, it cuts through the magnetic field lines, creating an electric current in the wire.

3. What are the different types of electrical generators?

There are several types of electrical generators, including AC generators, DC generators, and synchronous generators. AC generators produce alternating current, DC generators produce direct current, and synchronous generators are used in power plants to produce electricity on a large scale.

4. What are the main components of an electrical generator?

The main components of an electrical generator include a rotor (the rotating part), a stator (the stationary part), and an armature (the coil of wire). Other components may include a fuel source, cooling system, and control panel.

5. How do I choose the right size electrical generator for my needs?

The size of an electrical generator is determined by its power output, which is measured in watts or kilowatts. To choose the right size generator, you should calculate the total power requirements of your electrical devices and appliances, and choose a generator with a slightly higher power output to account for any surges in power usage.