Have I just invented a new axiom?

• Thread starter CasualCalculus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom
In summary, the conversation is about a formula that was discovered while trying to remove time from Classical Physics. The formula is X = √ ((X/2Π) * (X*2Π)) and the person was curious if anyone had seen it before. It was pointed out that the formula is incorrect, but it does reveal an interesting pattern. The conversation also touches on the definition of an axiom and a discussion about it can be found on another thread. The person who discovered the formula admits that they were initially excited about it, but it turned out to be incorrect.
CasualCalculus
I doubt it but I was doing some work on trying to remove time from Classical Physics (just for the hell of it) and I came across a formula that made me go "huh, not seen that before, but it's kind of neat."

Just out of curiosity has anyone seen this formula before?

X = √ ((X/2Π) * (X*2Π))

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you mean ##x = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2\pi}x2\pi}##, where's the point?

No more than it's an interesting pattern and I thought I'd post out of curiosity as to whether seen it before.

Doesn't work if ##x=-1##.

Whatever this formula is or where it comes from, it's not an axiom. You should consult a dictionary for a proper definition of that term.

Ah a classic example of a tongue-in-cheek post title being met with derision and scorn (it was a play on the classic "HAVE I JUST INVENTED A NEW FORMULA?!" posts you get on things like this.

I am genuinely interested if anyone has seen this pattern before because this is the first time I came across it, and it just seemed kind of neat.

CasualCalculus said:
Ah a classic example of a tongue-in-cheek post title being met with derision and scorn (it was a play on the classic "HAVE I JUST INVENTED A NEW FORMULA?!" posts you get on things like this.

I am genuinely interested if anyone has seen this pattern before because this is the first time I came across it, and it just seemed kind of neat.

Yes, it's a neat pattern and formula. But it's wrong. Try ##x=-1##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yeah, hubris took hold before I checked it with x = -1

Likes Greg Bernhardt
CasualCalculus said:
Just out of curiosity has anyone seen this formula before?

X = √ ((X/2Π) * (X*2Π))
Or in an easier-to-read form:
fresh_42 said:
If you mean ##x = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2\pi}x2\pi}##, where's the point?

CasualCalculus said:
No more than it's an interesting pattern and I thought I'd post out of curiosity as to whether seen it before.
The right side simplifies to ##\sqrt{x^2}##, which is NOT equal to x. It is true, however, that ##\sqrt{x^2}## = |x|.

It is true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/2π)2πx}##, but it is also true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/79)79x}## and ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/y)xy}##. This axiom already exists:
##|x|=\sqrt{x^2}##.

1. How do I know if my new idea is actually an axiom?

An axiom is a statement that is self-evident and does not require proof. If your idea is based on something that is universally accepted and cannot be proven, it may be considered an axiom.

2. Can anyone create a new axiom?

Technically, anyone can propose a new axiom. However, in order for it to be widely accepted and recognized by the scientific community, it must go through a rigorous process of evaluation and scrutiny.

3. Is there a specific format for stating a new axiom?

There is no set format for stating a new axiom, but it should be clear, concise, and logically consistent. It should also be able to stand on its own without needing additional assumptions or premises.

4. How can I prove that my new axiom is valid?

As an axiom is self-evident and does not require proof, there is no way to prove its validity. However, you can provide evidence and logical arguments to support your claim and demonstrate its consistency with other accepted axioms and principles.

5. Can a new axiom replace an existing one?

Yes, if a new axiom is widely accepted and proven to be more fundamental or universally applicable than an existing one, it can potentially replace it. However, this is a rare occurrence and requires a significant amount of evidence and support from the scientific community.