Heat capacities and negative temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative absolute temperature and its relation to thermodynamic systems. It is mentioned that the absolute temperature cannot be negative and that Cp is always greater than Cv. However, there are quantum systems with negative temperature and the definition of temperature in statistical mechanics allows for negative values. This can also be seen in lasing systems, where the working part of a laser has a negative temperature. However, these systems are not in thermal equilibrium with gases, making them unphysical.
Einj
Hi everybody,
I have the following doubt. We know that for a thermodynamic system the following equality holds:
$$
C_P-C_V=-T\frac{\left[\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]^2}{\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_T}
$$

Now, the mechanical stability of the system requires that the volume decreases with increasing pressure, i.e. [itex](\frac{\partial V}{\partial P})_T<0[/itex]. So this seems to lead to [itex]C_P>C_V[/itex]. Is that always true? What happen if the temperature is negative, [itex]T<0[/itex]?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The absolute temperature can't be negative, and Cp is always greater than Cv.

chet

I am not really sure about that. There are quantum systems with negative temperature. For example a system with just two energy levels has negative temperature.

Einj said:
I am not really sure about that. There are quantum systems with negative temperature. For example a system with just two energy levels has negative temperature.

I never heard of that, but I don't know much about qm. When I studied qm, I did not encountered the concept of negative absolute temperature.

It depends on the definition. When you work with statistical mechanics the temperature is defined through its relations with entropy, free energy and so on. And it turns out that from this relations it can also be negative.

Yes, but systems with negative temperature are not ever in thermal equilibrium with gasses, and since you're talking about gasses, you are describing an unphysical system.

Related to Heat capacities and negative temperature

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree.

2. How is heat capacity related to temperature?

The heat capacity of a substance is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, so does the heat capacity.

3. What is negative temperature?

Negative temperature is a thermodynamic concept that describes a system in which the particles have a higher energy state at lower temperatures and a lower energy state at higher temperatures. This is the opposite of what we typically think of as temperature, where higher temperatures indicate higher energy states.

4. How does negative temperature relate to heat capacity?

Negative temperature is related to heat capacity through the concept of temperature inversion. In a system with negative temperature, the heat capacity decreases as the temperature increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world examples of negative temperature?

Some examples of negative temperature systems include certain atomic and molecular systems, as well as lasers and Bose-Einstein condensates. In these systems, the particles are able to reach energy states that are higher than the maximum energy state at absolute zero, resulting in a negative temperature.