Heat capacity of a heating element, in a flow of air

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the heat capacity of a heater matrix by using inlet and outlet temperatures, power, and flow. The configuration and concept of heat capacity are clarified, and the equation for calculating power is referenced. The conversation also mentions the potential consequences of low air flow for the heater element. The main focus is on determining the heat capacity of the heater and resulting temperature.
James125
Air is flowing through a pipe, through a heater matrix.

Flow, Inlet temperature and heater power vary. Is it possible to calculate the heat capacity of the matrix by using the Inlet & outlet temperatures, power & flow?

I'm assuming no heat loss to the pipe walls to make it easier, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please describe the actual configuration more completely and explain what you mean by heat capacity of the matrix .

Likes russ_watters
I want to work out the heat capacity of the heater and thus the temperature that it will be.

Heating.png

James125 said:
I want to work out the heat capacity of the heater and thus the temperature that it will be.

View attachment 211151
Reference from Engineering Toolbox
Power = temperature differential * flow volume * air density * specific heat. Keep in mind that specific heat is influenced by how much water vapor is in the air.

Also, consider that happens to the heater element when air flow falls below a certain point - surface temperature climbs as flow decreases - flow too low, and the element melts. To prevent this, electrical resistance space heaters often incorporate a safety thermostat clamped to the element surface.

James125 said:

View attachment 211151
Sure. Your opening post implies all of those are given though. So what is given and what do you want to calculate?

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat that a substance can absorb or release in order to change its temperature by one degree.

2. How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured by determining the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree.

3. What factors affect the heat capacity of a heating element?

The heat capacity of a heating element can be affected by its material, size, and surface area. Other factors such as air flow and temperature can also play a role.

4. How does air flow affect the heat capacity of a heating element?

Air flow can affect the heat capacity of a heating element by either increasing or decreasing the rate at which heat is transferred. A higher air flow can result in a higher heat transfer rate and therefore a higher heat capacity.

5. Why is it important to consider the heat capacity of a heating element in a flow of air?

It is important to consider the heat capacity of a heating element in a flow of air because it can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the heating process. Understanding the heat capacity can also help in determining the appropriate size and material for a heating element for a specific application.