Heat conduction numerical model

In summary: You can vary the k's according to the material. However, the overall heat flux through the device should be conserved.
elt93
Hi Guys,
I'm new on this forum, currently studying Aerospace Engineering and am trying to produce the model of a radioisotope thermoelectric generator using numerical methods to solve the heat conduction equation as part of my research. The way it works is that I have a radioisotope source in the middle (let say a cube) generating a thermal power of x W/m3. Different configurations are possible but I want to start as follow. This source is surrounded by a cladding made of a specific alloy to shield it. On top and bottom of this cube there are thermopiles which on one end receive heat from the cladded source and on the other end radiate heat to space. Now, on the sides of this assembly there is a thermal insulator with non zero heat conductivity. My question is the following: Do I need to model this in 2D or 3D to couple the heat losses in the insulator as well as the heat "given" to each distinct thermopile or can I just do simple 1D models in each direction ? In the latter option, should I find the power given by the source to the insulation and substract it to what is given to the thermopile or is this not necessary and I can isolate each case ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Science news on Phys.org
Mmm! Radio thermal generators. Ahhhhhh! (Insert picture of Homer with his tongue hanging out.)

I would suggest starting with a simple 1-D equilibrium model. Then measure a real device and see if your code matches reality accurately enough for your purposes. If not then you may need a 2-D or a time dependent. And again compare to measurements. Hopefully you won't need a full 3-D time dependent.

It's really very hard to know in advance how accurate and detailed your model needs to be.

Thank you! If doing 1D, I guess I need to apply a 1D model in each direction otherwise the power outputted to the thermopiles will be largely overestimated (ignoring heat loss in the insulator and the surroundings). If so, how could I couple these 1D models to make sure the power equilibrium is respected ?

Thank you for all this guys, I think I'm going to start with a 2d model and then refine from there if needed. Last question: At the boundaries of different materials (different conductivities) do I need to set an energy balance to obtain the heat flux out of the hot material and then input that heat flux in the cold one or can I just applied this scheme:
k(T(i-1,j)-T(i,j))/dx+k(T(i+1,j)-T(i,j))/dx+k(T(i,j-1)-T(i,j))/dy+k(T(i,j+1)-T(i,j))/dy+(heat generation)dxdy=0 ? Basically I'm just not sure whether I'm actually allowed to vary these k according to the material containing the node or if it should stay the same

1. What is a heat conduction numerical model?

A heat conduction numerical model is a mathematical representation of the process of heat transfer through a solid material. It uses equations and numerical methods to simulate the transfer of heat energy from one point to another within a solid object.

2. What factors are typically included in a heat conduction numerical model?

A heat conduction numerical model typically takes into account factors such as the material properties of the object, the temperature gradient within the object, and the boundary conditions at the surface of the object.

3. How accurate are heat conduction numerical models?

The accuracy of a heat conduction numerical model depends on the complexity of the model and the quality of the input data. In general, these models can provide accurate results when the material properties and boundary conditions are well-defined and the numerical methods used are appropriate for the problem at hand.

4. What are the advantages of using a heat conduction numerical model?

Using a heat conduction numerical model allows for the prediction of temperature distributions within a solid object without having to conduct physical experiments. This can save time and resources, and also provide insights into the behavior of the object under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to heat conduction numerical models?

Heat conduction numerical models are limited by the assumptions and simplifications made in the model, which may not accurately represent the real-world conditions. They also require a significant amount of computational power and may not be suitable for all types of materials or boundary conditions.