Heat energy input from a hot source in a heat engine

In summary: That is it! Thank you! Ill search the size of the canister. Thank you :)In summary, the Mass Lifter Heat Engine experiment was performed in order to measure the thermal efficiency and compare it to the Carnot efficiency. The experiment used a Carnot cycle (2 adiabatic processes and 2 isothermal processes) and found that the thermal efficiency was lower than the Carnot efficiency. Additionally, the Mechanical efficiency was calculated.
Franz Rojas Ayala
Greetings!

I did the famous "Mass Lifter Heat Engine" experiment in which a mass is put at the top of a piston enclosed within a cylinder. The cylinder is connected to an aluminium canister of air and the air inside this canister expands and contracts the piston with thermal contact. We had 2 Heat reservoirs, one cold and one hot. The aluminium canister of air was placed in the cold reservoir until the height of the piston was almost zero and once the piston’s volume was at minimum, 200g of mass were added to the piston platform. The aluminium canister was subsequently moved from the cold reservoir to the hot reservoir and once it reached maximum height, the weight was removed. Finally, the canister was moved from the hot reservoir to the cold reservoir until it reached minimum volume, completing the cycle.

Basically, we made a Carnot cycle (2 adiabatic processes and 2 isothermal processes) and now in my report I have to find what the thermal efficiency was and compare it to the Carnot efficiency. Also I have to calculate the mechanical efficiency.

What I did:
- From the PV diagram I got the work from the cycle. Now I have the work performed by the gas in the heat engine.
- I have the maximum height the piston reached with the mass. Using mgh, I found the mechanical work.
- Got the Carnot Efficiency. I am saving that to compare it with the empirical thermal efficiency.

What I need to find:
- I need the Heat input from the hot reservoir to obtain the thermal efficiency.
- To calculate the mechanical efficiency, I need work output and energy input. I think the mechanical work is the work output, but I don't know what the mechanical energy Input would be.

What I have:
- I have Pressure and Volume every 0.2 seconds during the cycle.
- I have the temperatures of both reservoirs.
- I know the gas is Air, so I have Rgas.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the amount of heat energy transferred during an isobaric process?

Mister T said:
Do you know how to calculate the amount of heat energy transferred during an isobaric process?
Hey! thank you for answering :)

I think I know. It should be m*cp*dT, right? If so, the problem is I don't have the mass of the gas.

Is ##C_P## the specific heat or the molar specific heat?

Franz Rojas Ayala said:
Hey! thank you for answering :)

I think I know. It should be m*cp*dT, right? If so, the problem is I don't have the mass of the gas.

If you have the initial temperature, can you look up it's initial density. If you also know the volume, then you can compute mass.

Mister T said:
Is ##C_P## the specific heat or the molar specific heat?
I referred to the Specific Heat capacity Cp

anorlunda said:
If you have the initial temperature, can you look up it's initial density. If you also know the volume, then you can compute mass.
Thank you for the answer :) Yeah I thought about that, but thing is when the volume reaches zero (full contraction) the mass becomes zero apparently...

Franz Rojas Ayala said:
I referred to the Specific Heat capacity Cp

Is the value 29.1 ##\mathrm{\frac{J}{mol \cdot K}}##?

Franz Rojas Ayala said:
Thank you for the answer :) Yeah I thought about that, but thing is when the volume reaches zero (full contraction) the mass becomes zero apparently...

You need to include the volume of the metal canister and connecting hoses.

Last edited:
Mister T said:
Is the value 29.1 ##\mathrm{\frac{J}{mol \cdot K}}##?
You need to include the volume of the metal canister and connecting hoses.
That is it! Thank you! Ill search the size of the canister. Thank you :)

29.1 ##\mathrm{\frac{J}{mol \cdot K}}## is the molar specific heat.

Mister T said:
29.1 ##\mathrm{\frac{J}{mol \cdot K}}## is the molar specific heat.
Thank you good Sir!

Franz Rojas Ayala said:
It should be m*cp*dT, right?

So you now know that this is not the right formula?

1. What is heat energy input in a heat engine?

Heat energy input refers to the amount of thermal energy that is added to a heat engine from a hot source. This energy is converted into mechanical work, which is the output of the heat engine.

2. How does heat energy input affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is directly affected by the heat energy input. The higher the input, the more thermal energy is available to be converted into mechanical work, resulting in a higher efficiency. However, there is a limit to how much heat energy can be converted into work, known as the Carnot efficiency.

3. What factors determine the amount of heat energy input in a heat engine?

The amount of heat energy input in a heat engine is determined by the temperature of the hot source, the volume of the working fluid, and the type of heat transfer mechanism used (i.e. convection or radiation). These factors can also affect the efficiency of the heat engine.

4. How is heat energy input measured in a heat engine?

Heat energy input is typically measured in units of joules (J) or watts (W). In a heat engine, it can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the working fluid by its specific heat capacity and the change in temperature of the fluid as it passes through the hot source.

5. Can the heat energy input be controlled in a heat engine?

Yes, the heat energy input in a heat engine can be controlled by adjusting the temperature of the hot source and the volume of the working fluid. This allows for the regulation of the amount of thermal energy being converted into mechanical work, and therefore, the efficiency of the heat engine.