Heat Exchange Solutions to Improve Shop Comfort

In summary, the speaker has been testing a gravity feed pellet burner and found that it works well but is looking for ways to improve heat recovery and transfer it into the building. They have tried using a stainless steel elbow over the flame but it did not work. They are open to suggestions and have found some videos on YouTube for heat recovery systems. The speaker's ultimate goal is to have a fire box outside the building and transfer as much heat as possible into the building.
BurnIt0017
Heat Exchanger?

Greetings, after two days of testing my idea of using a stainless steel elbow as a heat exchanger and blowing the hot air into the shop does not work. On the plus side the gravity feed pellet burner works very well. I did find that considerable heat is radiating from the top of the metal box housing the pellet burner. I am planning to add a plenum to the top of the housing and vent that into shop, hopefully this will recover more heat. If anyone has any ideas how I can improve heat recovery and transfer that heat into the shop please let me know. Best regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epGDmJciN0U

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

What is it you are trying to do? You seem to assume we have prior knowledge of your device and goals.

Greetings, I created a gravity feed pellet burner. The pellet burner works very well. It has a 8 hour unattended burn time. My challenge now is to recover as much heat from the pellet burner and transfer that heat into the building. My first attempt using a stainless elbow positioned over the flame to heat the air inside the vent has failed. Basically the project is to have a fire box outside the building and then try to recover as heat as possible and transfer that heat to inside the building. I am looking for ideas that are low cost and easy to fabricate. I found some videos on youtube showing heat recovery systems. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
Best regards.

Videos of my project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTUxarUvb2E"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoDyKCA3xs"

Attachments

• Heat Reclaimer.jpg
    Heat Reclaimer.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 558
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does heat exchange work to improve shop comfort?

Heat exchange involves transferring heat from one source to another, typically from warm air to cool air. In a shop setting, a heat exchange system can remove warm air and replace it with cooler air, creating a more comfortable environment for workers.

2. What types of heat exchange solutions are available for improving shop comfort?

There are several types of heat exchange solutions, including air-to-air, water-to-air, and ground-to-air systems. Each type has its own benefits and is suitable for different shop environments.

3. How can heat exchange solutions save energy and reduce costs?

By exchanging warm air for cool air, heat exchange systems can reduce the need for traditional heating and cooling methods, resulting in lower energy consumption and cost savings. Additionally, some systems can recycle heat from exhaust air to further reduce energy usage.

4. Is it difficult to install a heat exchange system in a shop?

The installation process for a heat exchange system will vary depending on the type of system and the shop's layout. However, with the help of a professional, the installation process can typically be completed without major disruptions to the shop's operations.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for heat exchange solutions?

Like any mechanical system, heat exchange solutions may require periodic maintenance to ensure optimal performance. This may include cleaning or replacing filters and checking for any potential issues. Regular maintenance can help extend the lifespan of the system and prevent costly repairs.