Heat of friction in cylinder-piston

In summary, this means that if you want to do the same amount of work with less heat taken from the reservoir, you need to use a piston with friction.
Absentee
I believe I'm missing something, probably a very stupid question incoming:

I am considering process with ideal gas expanding without piston-friction in constant temperature environment. Amount of heat taken from the reservoir is of the same amount as the work done by the expansion of the gas.

ΔU = Q - W

Since there is no change in temperature:

Q - W = 0

Let's consider process where the same ideal gas expands for the same amount of ΔV but this time with piston-friction.

ΔU = Q + Q(Friction) - W

Since there is no change in temperature:

Q + Q(Friction) - W = 0

So the "sum of heats" is of same amount as the work done, so less heat had to be taken from the reservoir, as the friction added some heat itself.

But how do I explain this practically? What it means for me is that I need less heat taken from the source for the same amount of work. How is that bad? What am I missing?

Science news on Phys.org
Absentee said:
What am I missing?
What are the final velocities of the pistons?

Some of the work is expended in overcoming the force of friction. So, in the frictional case, W includes both the frictional work and the work done on the surroundings. Actually, since part of the force exerted by the gas is used to overcome friction, the force on the surroundings and the work done on the surroundings are less than if the piston were frictionless. The net heat absorbed from the surroundings is less and the work done on the surroundings is less.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Some of the work is expended in overcoming the force of friction. So, in the frictional case, W includes both the frictional work and the work done on the surroundings. Actually, since part of the force exerted by the gas is used to overcome friction, the force on the surroundings and the work done on the surroundings are less than if the piston were frictionless. The net heat absorbed from the surroundings is less and the work done on the surroundings is less.

Chet
Thanks!

1. What is the heat of friction in a cylinder-piston system?

The heat of friction in a cylinder-piston system is the amount of thermal energy generated due to the rubbing or sliding of the piston against the walls of the cylinder during the combustion process. It is a result of the conversion of the mechanical energy of the piston into heat energy.

2. How does the heat of friction affect engine performance?

The heat of friction can significantly impact engine performance by reducing the overall efficiency of the system. This is because the heat produced by friction is wasted energy that does not contribute to the work done by the engine. It can also cause wear and tear on engine components, leading to decreased longevity and potentially costly repairs.

3. What factors can influence the heat of friction in a cylinder-piston system?

There are several factors that can affect the heat of friction in a cylinder-piston system, including the materials and surface finishes of the piston and cylinder, the amount and type of lubrication used, the speed and load of the engine, and the temperature and pressure conditions inside the cylinder.

4. How can the heat of friction be reduced in a cylinder-piston system?

One way to reduce the heat of friction in a cylinder-piston system is by using high-quality lubricants that can reduce the amount of direct contact between the piston and cylinder walls. Additionally, using materials with low coefficients of friction, maintaining proper engine temperature and pressure, and minimizing engine load can also help reduce the heat of friction.

5. Is the heat of friction always a negative factor in engine performance?

While the heat of friction is generally considered a negative factor in engine performance, it does have some positive effects. For example, a certain amount of friction is necessary to ensure proper sealing of the piston rings and prevent oil leakage. In some cases, the heat of friction can also aid in the combustion process by helping to vaporize fuel particles and promote more complete combustion.