Heat Transfer -- Newton's law of cooling

In summary: ChestermillerThank you for your reply,There is a heat conduction in the system.No more heat is generated into body ABodies B & C are actively cooling body A with a set point of 15 degrees Celsius. There will be heat conducted to B & C but one can consider that change to negligible.
Fritiofmikael
Hi,

I have been trying to set up a funtcion of the temperature over time and I am doubting my results.

In the system i have:
upload_2018-9-28_9-44-3.png

Fig 1.

The system is at rest. For simplicty I've considerd the ambient temperature to be same as T1.

By knowing:

upload_2018-9-28_9-55-36.png

Fig 2.

yeilds:

upload_2018-9-28_9-57-23.png

Fig 3.

In my case B&C is at a constant Temperature of 15°C and Body A 115°C.

The specific heat cond and heat transfer coeff for A is:
0,19 W/m
1700 J/kg

For A:
Length = 2.41m
Width = 2.071m
Depth = 0.01m
Density = 950 kg/m3For Fig3. i end up with L=0.01m A=0.0207m2 and m = 47.4 kg.

By using the function above and plotting over 60 sec i get.
upload_2018-9-28_10-9-41.png

Fig 4

I'm not satisfied with my end result and wondering if anyone can see if there are any obvious errors?

Best Regards

Mikael

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-28_9-44-3.png
    upload_2018-9-28_9-44-3.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 848
  • upload_2018-9-28_9-55-36.png
    upload_2018-9-28_9-55-36.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 552
  • upload_2018-9-28_9-57-23.png
    upload_2018-9-28_9-57-23.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 570
  • upload_2018-9-28_10-9-41.png
    upload_2018-9-28_10-9-41.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Fritiofmikael said:
In my case B&C is at a constant Temperature of 15°C and Body A 115°C.

I'm not quite sure, how your model looks like. Are you trying to find the temperature distribution of your setup or just the transferred heat, i.e. do you assume that all the bodies (A, B, C) have a uniform tempeature at each time? Then what's your length ##L##? Do the bodies B and C are the boundaries (and therefore have the same temperature during your entire calculation)?

Also there are some issues with your units, the conductivity is in ##W/mK## and the heat transfer coefficient in ##W/m^2K##.

One last question: Is this kind of a homework or how did you come up with this scenario?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I assume that the system has a uniform temperature distrubtion.

I want to find the temperature distribution of body A with an initial temp is 115 C. My length is 0.01m. B & C have a constant temp at 15 which can be considered as the boundaries.

Are the temperatures of bodies B and C changing with time? Do you think it is valid to neglect heat conduction within the bodies, and to only use a heat transfer coefficient at their boundaries...or would it be more accurate to assume that heat conduction is occurring and that there is no resistance to heat transfer at the boundaries?

@Chestermiller

Thank you for the reply,

There is a heat conduction in the system.

No more heat is generated into body A

Bodies B & C are actively cooling body A with a set point of 15 degrees Celsius. There will be heat conducted to B & C but one can consider that change to negligible.

Fritiofmikael said:
@Chestermiller

Thank you for the reply,

Bodies B & C are actively cooling body A with a set point of 15 degrees Celsius. There will be heat conducted to B & C but one can consider that change to negligible.

Are the boundaries and the temperature distribution of the Body A you want to assume like in the atttached schematic (for a specific time)?

Attachments

• Model_HT_01.jpg
    Model_HT_01.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 378
@stockzahn

Thank you for your reply,

There are no boundaries of body A, yes that is my assumption.

Fritiofmikael said:
@Chestermiller

Thank you for the reply,

So, if you are including heat conduction, then are you solving the transient heat conduction equation within body A:
$$\rho C\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=k\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial y^2}$$
where ##\rho## is the density of body A, C is its heat capacity, k is its thermal conductivity, and y is vertical position?

Fritiofmikael said:
@stockzahn

Thank you for your reply,

There are no boundaries of body A, yes that is my assumption.

If the temperature of the bodies B and C is constant you can assume them to be a boundary with ##T= const.## (a so-called Dirichlet boundary condition). You don't need to model them. So to be sure the only temperature changing (only in time) is the temperature of body A?

What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a physical law that describes the rate at which an object cools down or loses heat to its surroundings. It states that the rate of heat loss is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

How does Newton's law of cooling apply to real-world situations?

This law can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the cooling of a hot cup of coffee, the cooling of a room with an air conditioner, or the cooling of a metal object in a furnace. It helps in understanding and predicting the rate of cooling in these scenarios.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer according to Newton's law of cooling?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area and material of the object, and the type of medium through which heat is being transferred.

Can Newton's law of cooling be applied to objects that are heating up instead of cooling down?

Yes, this law can also be applied to objects that are gaining heat instead of losing it. In this case, the rate of heat transfer would be proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, but with a positive sign.

How is Newton's law of cooling related to the concept of equilibrium?

Newtons's law of cooling is related to the concept of equilibrium because it states that an object and its surroundings will eventually reach thermal equilibrium, where there is no longer a temperature difference between them. This means that the rate of heat transfer will decrease to zero, and the object will stop cooling down or heating up.