Heat Transfer through a cooking pot

In summary, the cooking pot designed by the student will produce 1.5 kW of electricity from a fire that is outputting 6 kW.
hartmantc
Hello, I am working a designing a cooking pot with thermoelectrics integrated into the design. I am trying to find the heat flow through the pan to estimate how much electricity the design will produce.

First off some constants - The design has a base area of .0491 m2, or a diameter of 25 cm. The base material of the bottom of the pan before adding thermoelectrics is Stainless, with a thermal conductivity of 50.2 W/m*k. Heat is flowing from an open flame through the pot to water. We will assume it is boiling at 100C or 373K. The pan bottom is 5 mm thick.

I began with dQ/dt=m*Cp*dT/dt, where Cp is the specific heat if water, m is the mass of water (1kg for simplicity), T is temperature, and t is time. Through a messy derivation, I came to a final equation for t, the time it takes the water to boil by integrating from 20C to 100C, starting at room temp and heating to boiling. That equations was:
t=(ln(dT/To))/(((k/L)*10-2)/Cp)
Where dT is the difference in temperature between the outside air under the pot and boiling water (assumed to be 80), To is room temperature, L is thickness, k is the conductivity of stainless, and 10-2 is from unit conversions. This equation assumes a closed system (I know its not) and gives boiling times around 50 seconds. This value seems reasonable since with actual heat losses this number will rise to real world values.

My professor however would like me to calculate the outside temperature of the pot using a known heat flow. He has provided sources stating a fire can output 6 kW, of which 25% goes to the pot, or 1.5 kW. Using q=k*L(Tout-Tin) where Tin is boiling water at 100C, this gives an absurd outside temperature of 6345 C.

Can anyone see a way to revise either of these methods?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Show your working for that last calculation. I got a different answer.

1. How does heat transfer through a cooking pot?

Heat is transferred through a cooking pot through a process called conduction. This means that heat energy is passed from molecule to molecule within the pot's material, causing it to heat up. The rate of heat transfer is dependent on factors such as the material of the pot and the temperature difference between the heat source and the pot.

2. What materials are best for heat transfer in a cooking pot?

Materials that are good conductors of heat, such as copper and aluminum, are best for heat transfer in a cooking pot. These materials allow for efficient and even distribution of heat, resulting in faster and more consistent cooking.

3. Does the shape and size of a cooking pot affect heat transfer?

Yes, the shape and size of a cooking pot can affect heat transfer. A wider and flatter pot will have a larger surface area, allowing for more heat to be transferred. A taller and narrower pot, on the other hand, will have a smaller surface area and may result in slower heat transfer.

4. How does the type of heat source impact heat transfer in a cooking pot?

The type of heat source can greatly impact heat transfer in a cooking pot. Gas stoves, for example, provide a more direct and concentrated heat source compared to electric stoves. This can result in faster and more efficient heat transfer, especially for materials that are good conductors of heat.

5. Can I improve heat transfer in a cooking pot?

Yes, there are ways to improve heat transfer in a cooking pot. Using a pot with a material that is a good conductor of heat, such as copper or aluminum, can improve heat transfer. Additionally, ensuring the pot is the right size and shape for the heat source, and keeping the pot clean and free of any obstructions, can also help improve heat transfer.